5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 10:24 AM by Dave Hutch
Dave Hutch Level 4 Level 4 (1,460 points)

Says I'm, in Germany, when Im actually in the UK.

How can I check my GPS accuracy in Mavericks?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)
  • Dave Hutch Level 4 Level 4 (1,460 points)

Time Zone is set to London and Wi-Fi is on (TalkTalk)

• William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7 (20,645 points)

Maps on OS X uses Wi-Fi to determine your location. It doesn't have access to GPS information (there's no GPS hardware in a Mac).  What computer are you using, and does it have Wi-Fi turned on?

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (150,580 points)

Location Services (including "Find My Mac") relies on a database of known Wi-Fi access points. If Wi-Fi is not turned on, or if it's not within range of at least one of those access points, the machine won't be located at all, or the location will be wrong. Sometimes the location will be wrong because the database contains inaccurate data. According to reports, if you connect to a network with a GPS-equipped iOS device, its location will be reported to Apple and added to the database. I can't confirm.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but please read my post.

I clearly stated that Wi-Fi is on and using TalkTalk.

My signature also states I am using a MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Thanks. As stated I am using Wi-Fi and this must be wrongly listed in the database.

I can confirm that I have connected to the same access point using two iPhones and two iPads, so it doesn't seem like the database is updated...at least not in the past year or so.

I can also confirm that now I am connected to my own b'band, the location is now correct.

Even if it's wrongly listed, I wouldn't have expected it to be a different Country though !!

I don't hold out for fiding my Mac if the thief uses TalkTall I must say