Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage problem

I'm getting messages saying my iCloud storage is almost full.

So I went System Prefs > iCloud and it says I have 208.8 MB of 5 GB available.

But over 2 Gb of what I've used is Mail.

So I opened Mail on my Mac, selected a load of old email messages, (many with big attachments), and moved them to the trash. I then opened trash selected them again and hit the delete key, then I went Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items > In all accounts.

So they should be pretty well deleted!

I then went System Prefs > iCloud, and nothing has changed; I still have 208.8 MB available.

I went back into Mail, deleted a load of Sent messages (many with big attachments) and did the same.

Then I deleted some Junk mail (there wasn't much).

Then I opened Safari, went to www.iCloud.com - opened my Mail account and did the same again.

SO after all this I still have 208.8MB of storage available.

Can someone explain how I free up some space by reducing Mail stoirage please?

Thanks,

Paul

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), LaCie and Starck external HDs

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 4:40 AM

65 replies

Jan 21, 2017 8:48 AM in response to Paul Richards4

I was having this same problem with documents that wouldn't delete. I had iCloud storing items on the desktop (which is usually empty) so when I moved a bunch of large files to my desktop after removing from an old hard drive, it started storing them automatically. I put them back on the old hard drive and deleted them from my desktop. Still had no affect and my iCloud storage was full.

Solution:

What I had to do, which might be the solution for the Mail iCloud storage issue, is completely empty my trash. OS X seems to keep everything counted toward storage (whether on your local drive or iCloud) unless you empty the trash. As soon as I did that, it removed the deleted iCloud storage from my iCloud account in about 10 or so seconds.

I would try emptying the trash on your computer(s).

Hope that helps!

May 5, 2017 2:33 PM in response to timmyj_jf

I came here because after deleting ordinary files in my icloud drive (confirmed have been removed) however the space on the icloud drive has not freed up. However, I may as well offer some insight here from my day's as a mail administrator.

There are two angles in this thread that are complimentary which I will clarify below.

1 - icloud storage is shared among all services being backed up which includes many things including text messages even though these are typically too small to worry about. This is why you can only buy extra storage globally and not e.g. an extra 2GB just for mail. What others in this thread were trying to suggest, is you can free space in other applications which would allow you to have extra free space for mail. Of course, that's not quite the question being asked here, but could give some breathing room while you figure out the mail.

2 - The way mail and databases work, you can delete files and not see the space come back. This is quite typical. The databases for technical reason's still see the space contained within them (free or used) as used from a file system point of view. So as a database grows, typically it doesn't shrink. That is, until you do a rebuild. Which is what was done above and solved the issue I believe. One caveat to this is if you use a mail server (like yourname@icloud.com). Predominantly, in this case the process should be both on the server and on your client and could be a little more complicated. However, a rebuild should fix your end of any issue.

I hope that helps. There are always exceptions, but that is what I have found with email and the databases that it's stored in over the last 20 years or so of working in IT support shops. Of course I've over simplified it, but you'll get the idea.

Dec 29, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Paul Richards4

this just goes on and on.

and it just doesn't feel like apple are there to help.

so...

1 my cloud storage is almost full. i delete mails as instructed, but it's still full. ... ???

so i post here. no-one knows.

2 i try the old apple chat support. can't find chat support. only phone lines, which you book in advance, no good to me. so i post 'does anyone know where chat support has gone?'

no-one knows. turns out that chat support exists for other problems but not for iCloud. (?!).

3 so i look at my storage on the cloud again. 2.2 gb of backups (my old iPad, my iPhone 5s and my new iPad). and a load of mail (2.1 gb) and a few bits and pieces...

so i think, the mail thing isn't working. no-one else can advise, it looks like something that will have to wait til i can get to a genius bar, maybe in a week's time...

but i need a fix now, otherwise my backups stop working.

so hey, lets fix it the other way. delete the cloud backup for my old iPad. - i can always turn it back on when everything else is fixed.

delete old iPad backup from cloud.

bosh.

now i have nearly a gig of space on the cloud.

yippee.

but...

i'll just test that i can turn it back on again.

iTunes Summary for my old iPad says that it will..

Automatically back up the most important data to iCloud, so i click Back Up Now.

it backs up to my hard drive.

do it again. I want it to Back Up to cloud.

but...

same. Backs up to hard drive.

*** apple??

does anything work???

Dec 30, 2013 7:22 AM in response to Csound1

Hi

Thanks for getting involved. I've backed up my mail and then deleted everything in the Inbox, Drafts, and Sent. Quit Mail and restarted my Mac.

But I've gone back into System Prefs > iCloud and it still says almost the same thing... 247.9MB of 5GB available.

User uploaded file

in the meantime, i've been in to the Apple store - one of the girls there said she thought that my mail cache needed to be deleted, so she suggested i turn my iPhone mail off and do a fresh backup of my iPhone.

That took a while, but finished now. Seems to have had no effect.

Any thoughts?

Dec 30, 2013 7:29 AM in response to Paul Richards4

Any thoughts?

Only one, this is not working right!

But it's not a useful thought.

I will seek assistance from others, give it a little time.

(OK, one thought, it is possible that there is a delay before the changed status of the storage appears, hours maybe? I can't imagine that it could be longer than that)

Let me get more eyes on this one.

Dec 30, 2013 9:32 AM in response to Csound1

Thank you both for your efforts, however I'm afraid I'm not having any luck...

I read through the Support Note - It says "Go to the appropriate iCloud iWork web app at iCloud.com and locate and delete the files.

I don't put many documents on iCloud, but I did have one document in Numbers, which I saved back to my iMac and then deleted from the cloud.

If i go to System Prefs > iCloud > Manage, the list on the left side shows Backups (2.6GB) Mail (still 2.1GB) and a few other very small ones. I don't remember what Pocket Planes was - presumably an App used by my son, anyway I've deleted it.

It seems to me that the paragraph entitled Storage Buffering and Backup does not make sense..? - "from a device that does not have iCloud Backup enabled, ... turn on iCloud Backup" then "Delete the Backup".

(what backup? it wasn't enabled.??)

and then "Deleting this backup will also turn on Backup of your iOS device". No, deleting a backup prompts a message saying it will turn off backups.

Anyway, I've now deleted all my iCloud backups - my old iPad1, my new iPad Air and my iPhone5.

It says I now have 2.92 GB of space available, because my Mail is still taking up 2.1GB.

It seems to have been stuck at 2.1 GB since yesterday.

User uploaded file

Dec 30, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Paul Richards4

paul you must delete old mails and attachmets that make increase the space of ur free icloud storage, make sure you do no have long videos and thousands of pictures get another app to storage videos and pictures i do recomend skydrive app from outlook.com just create an account of hotmail.com live.com or outlook.com or if u have one just download the app there you have more storage space.

Dec 30, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Winston Churchill

yep, got that, so I started making new backups of my iPhone, iPad and iPadAir.

The iPadAir is done, 530mb, hasn't had any effect.

The old iPad1 has just finished, so backups now total 1.3 GB, but still no effect.

I've been using Mail, sending and receiving but no effect.

I'll add a backup of my iPhone, but my guess is it will tell me there is not enough room..

but..

since the problem is my stuck Mail backup, I went into Mail prefs, and there are two accounts - one with the name of my iCloud account, and the other just called iCloud. They are both enabled. It doesn't look right to me... or is it?

Dec 30, 2013 11:18 AM in response to Paul Richards4

Ok Paul when u create an apple id and if u go to icloud settings and turn on MAIL that will create another email address using the same name of ur apple id but with @icloud.com that boths belongs you so, i do remend you use the one with icloud.com and delete or just turn off the mail account you have set it on the mail app, weird that show u you are almost full of ur free 5 gb, like i said before make sure you do not have long videos and tons of junk mails and music not in the app i mean in the messages app and mail app, because that decrease the icloud storage

iCloud storage problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.