Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi: iPhone 3G does not always connect

I have Wi-Fi at home from the BT Home Hub that creates my broadband connection to my computer. I have set the Wi-Fi settings of my 'phone to connect automatically to my BT Wi-Fi, but occasionally this does not happen and I have to go to Settings>Wi Fi and tap on the name of the Wi-Fi network. This then immediately makes the connection, so it does not seem to be a temporary fault in the Wi-Fi provision itself that causes the automatic connection to fail.

This is a matter of some moment because if I fail to notice that the 'phone is not connected to Wi-Fi, anything I do on the 'phone drains the money in my pay-as-you-go mobile 'phone account. I should be grateful for any suggestions.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 7:04 AM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Hi Michael,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. This article has some steps you can take that may help your iPhone automatically connect to your Wi-Fi:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398

Unable to automatically connect to Wi-Fi

• Avoid giving your Wi-Fi network a common name.
    • Some wireless routers are preconfigured with a common SSID (network name) such as "wireless" or "default."
    • If your desired Wi-Fi network has a common SSID, try changing the SSID to something unique2.
  • If your desired Wi-Fi network has a unique SSID, reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
    • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
    • recently used Bluetooth accessories
    • VPN and APN settings

Cheers,

- Ari

Jan 1, 2014 4:02 AM in response to ariel s

Thanks for that useful article, Ari. My home Hi-Fi network has got a long, non-generic name, so I don't think its name is the cause of my problem. Moreover, the failure to connect seems only to occur once in a while; most of the time there is no problem at all. So again it doesn't seem likely that it happens because the network name is banned by Apple. I think I shall have to carry on as I am, but try to observe under what circumstances the 'phone fails to connect. If any, that is, because since posting this question the problem has not recurred!

WiFi: iPhone 3G does not always connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.