Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup and delete old admin user account

Hi. An Apple Advisor (level 2) helped me to clean my Mavericks system, among other actions he asked me to create a new admin user. I think it's time to delete the old one, but Mavericks don't agree the backing up of the old user account (Home) before deleting it.

- I tried to find all files with Old-User ownership and change their permissions to the New owner. But Mavericks still say no.

The .dmg is created but not kept.

Why I want to do that ? An unknown and unwanted app is probably running backwards, I can't find it and delete it on this cleaned install...

it like a windows manager app. like "size up". I will look in the process manager.

Don't blame me about my language please, The "Apple Support Communities" does'nt deal with French. AlasUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Apple care mid 2011

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 6:36 AM

10 replies

Dec 29, 2013 7:44 AM in response to FrenchAlain55

Sure, should've read your title more carefully.

Well, if you think the issue is related to permissions, I would first suggest to reset permissions and ACLs for that user:

- restart you system on the Recovery partition (holding CMD + R during boot)

- once booted, select your language

- in the menu bar, select "Tools" -> Terminal

- in Terminal, enter "resetpassword" then hit enter

- in the Reset Password Utility, select your drive, then select the user that has issues

- do not enter a new password, just click the Reset ACL button at the buttom.

- restart your system and test again the deletion

If this does not help, I would suggest to make a manual copy of the home folder using Terminal

cp /Users/old_user_name /Users/new_user_name/Desktop/old_user_backup/

Then try to delete the user & erase its home folder.

Need a French version ? just ask 😉

Dec 29, 2013 8:12 AM in response to FrenchAlain55

I'm reading and maybe grabbing ideas here

How to change user account name or home directory name for Mac OS X v10.5 or later. (Not my issue but could help too )

Enabling the root user is a good way, already done by the Apple Advisor 🙂

• Enable the root user.
  • Navigate to the /Users folder. Select the Home folder with the short name you want to change
  • After verifying that your data is as expected, you can delete the original user account via the Users & Groups pane.
  • Disable the root user.

Backup and delete old admin user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.