Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWorks (iOS7) apps can not "Send a copy" to WebDAV server

Is there a known incompatibility between iWorks (iOS7) apps and Mavericks OSX Server 3.0.1 WebDAV file sharing?

The problem:

Using any of the iWorks apps (iOS 7 on an iPad Mini or iPhone 5s) I can easily add a “Copy from WebDAV” from our WebDAV server, but I can’t “Send a copy” of any iWorks document (in any format) to our WebDAV server. The app attempts to write the document but hangs up. The resulting file on the WebDAV server has the correct name but only a single byte.

However, Numbers on our antique iPhone 3Gs (iOS 6) can easily “Copy from WebDAV” AND “Send a copy” to the same WebDAV server, signed in as the same user.

Background:

We are running OSX Server 3.0.1 configured for File Sharing over SMB, AFP, and WebDav on an iMac running OSX 10.9.1.

--GetRealBro

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 7:26 AM

4 replies

Dec 31, 2013 6:31 AM in response to GetRealBro

Maybe I asked the wrong question.

Has anyone been able to "Send a copy" of any iWorks iOS7 document to any WebDAV server?

Since my last post I have confirmed that I can "Send a copy" of Numbers, Pages and Keynote (iOS6 on an iPhone 3Gs) documents to our WebDAV server (OSX server) and open them in Excel, Word or PowerPoint in Mavericks. The test is simple. I open an iWorks app and add a new document by selecting an iWorks template. I "Send a copy" to our WebDAV server. The iWorks iOS 6 apps complete the task quickly. The iOS 7 apps appear to do the same but they never complete the transfer. After a few minutes I cancel the "Send a copy". The resulting file on the WebDAV server has the correct name and file type. But it is only 1 byte long. And for good measure, the failure of iOS 7 iWorks apps to "Send a copy" to a WebDAV server occurs on both an iPad MIni and an iPhone 5s.

Note: I must be logged on to the WebDAV server correctly because both the iOS6 and iOS7 apps display and allow me to navigate the file structure.

Thanks in advance —GetRealBro

BTW does anyone else find it ironic that Apple’s own discussion forums don’t work correctly (i.e. missing the formatting icons in the reply pane) with Safari in iOS7 on an iPad?

Jan 5, 2014 2:55 PM in response to GetRealBro

Any progress on figuring this out GetRealBro?

I've experienced same issue with new iOS7 versions of Pages, Keynote, and Numbers when selecting the "Choose a format..." option of Pages, Keynote, Numbers respectively. If choose any of other format options (i.e. Word, PDF, ePub, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.), no issue. Only occurs when attempting to use the native formats.

My research to date has led me to suspect some issue related to the "new" file format change Apple did with these newer versions of Pages, Keynote, Numbers. Can't ascertain whether I need to make some modfication to WebDAV server configuration or not. This issue does not occur with older versions of the iOS apps or on versions of apps on iOS 5/6.

Any leads or advice to share?

Jan 5, 2014 5:31 PM in response to TechHelperNY

Sorry. I don’t have any further leads or advice — well, except that no one should expect the iOS 7 versions of iWorks apps to save ANY format to a WebDAV server.

I really don’t know about the OSX versions of iWork’s apps. I’ve never used them. I was planning to buy a copy of iWorks for OSX — but not now. And its looking less and less likely that I will anytime in the foreseeable future. The flaws/limitations are show stoppers. For example, the latest versions of Pages (iOS and OSX) can’t even read rich text files (.rtf) which happens to be the default format for files written by Apple’s own TextEdit in OSX - DUH.

I wish now that I hadn't upgraded our iPad to iOS 7 or our Macs to Mavericks. That way only the new iPhone 5s would have been crippled by OS versions that weren't really ready for prime time. Luckily, our iPhone 3Gs was spared the new free OS upgrades by being too old 🙂

Apple has really stepped on their own ____ with the latest versions of iWorks (iOS and OSX). By making them free to new iOS and new OSX device purchasers, Apple has dramatically increased the number of beta testers. Unfortunately for Apple, many of us thought we were getting a fairly mature product. But obviously not 😟

—GetRealBro

iWorks (iOS7) apps can not "Send a copy" to WebDAV server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.