Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 update bricked my iPhone

As the title says, the latest update completely bricked my iPhone 4. The phone was working perfectly fine before the update.

I payed 700$ for this phone so the question is how do I get Apple to fix this? I checked the site and it's seriously asking me to "purchase" support for this phone. Sorry, I'm not paying for apple to fix their products they broke with their own update.

iPhone 4, Also product: Latest iTunes version

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 9:31 AM

7 replies

Dec 29, 2013 9:36 AM in response to JPlanck2873

What iOS were you running prior to this update?

Have you tried restoring the device in iTunes?

And, just FYI, the terms & conditions of the iOS update, which you agreed to prior to installing the update, made it very, very clear that updating your iOS is optional, and at your own risk. Read the terms again; any problems you have after a voluntary update are not Apple's responsibility.

In any event, try a restore, see what happens.

Dec 29, 2013 9:46 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

That's very interesting that I update the phone "at my own risk", since if you have a problem with the phone apple support will TELL YOU to update the iOS.

And no, the phone is not recoverable. It does not respond to the power button and cannot be restored or connected to the computer.

The question is again, how do I get apple to fix this? I'm well aware this is a user forum and I'm asking if any of the other well-documented cases of this happening to users have been resolved by apple as opposed to the end-user paying for support or for a new phone, which by the way is not happening. I've checked every source I can find short of calling the store and there doesn't seem to be any interest by apple to fix the well-documented issue.

The only outcome of this where apple does not foot the bill and fix everything will result in me cancelling every account I have with apple and telling everybody I know about this, because I'm sorry but it's not acceptable for an update to brick a 700$ piece of hardware.

Dec 29, 2013 10:41 AM in response to JPlanck2873

Why don't you ask Apple to fix it, rather than asking us how to ask Apple to fix it? If you've tried every source "short of calling the store", then that's your problem, right there.

If the phone won't even switch on, you could try holding the on-off button and the home button down together and seeing if the Apple logo appears (may take around 30 seconds). At that point the phone should start up.

Dec 29, 2013 10:50 AM in response to JPlanck2873

You get Apple to fix it by talking to APPLE.

Hey, my Dodge Charger is acting up! How do I get Dodge to fix it?

My question has the same answer as yours: contact the manufacturer.

And you haven't tried all the possible steps.

Connect your device to your computer with iTunes up and running.

Hold down the Sleep/Wake & Home buttons simultaneously for up to 2 minutes.

What happens on the device and/or iTunes on your computer?

Dec 29, 2013 10:57 AM in response to JPlanck2873

JPlanck2873 wrote:

I payed 700$ for this phone so the question is how do I get Apple to fix this? I checked the site and it's seriously asking me to "purchase" support for this phone. Sorry, I'm not paying for apple to fix their products they broke with their own update.

Sir;

WHEN you purchased the iphone it was working PERFECTLY. When you attempted the update something occurred that resulted in your device to lock up. APPLE did not do this to your device!

The device is NOT a brick it's a electronic fully functioning device that currently is in a mode that for all you care is PROTECTING your hardware from harmful effects.

Put on your big boy pants go to the apple support page that "I" will provide you - read about restoring your device using recovery mode and GET A LIFE!

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

iOS 7 update bricked my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.