Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

real instument track not visible on New track

I am trying to record streaming audio in Garage Band. Upon following the youtube video, it states to create a new "real instrument track." In my Gargage Band '11 I do not see this option on the start up screen. I have updated the software, but to no avail. Please help indentify where this is or offer another option to record / capture streaming audio. I am also using SoundFlower, but this option was missing in Garage Band before install. Thank you in advance.

Byron

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 9:53 AM

6 replies

Dec 29, 2013 10:33 AM in response to DrByronSmith

Byron, what is your GarageBand '11 version?

In GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5 start with any template that will create a track to be recorded using line-in or an audio interface, for example the "Voice" track or "Acoustic Instrument".

User uploaded file

Let's assume you picked "Acoustic Instrument".

This will create a basic project with just one basic track for recording, without any effects applied.

User uploaded file

In the lower right of the window, in the Info panel for the track, you will see the options to select the input source. Set it to the input source you are using after you connect your input device.

User uploaded file

Dec 29, 2013 4:28 PM in response to DrByronSmith

You can change the instrument any time for the track from the "Info" panel. Open the "Real Instrument" tab and pick any of the predefined patches, for example "Male Basic" from the "Vocal" instruments.

You may need to cut and distribute your recording on two separate tracks, one for the music, and one for the speech, to be able to pick optimal filters.

I am trying to record streaming audio in Garage Band.

How good is the quality of the audio stream? For some of the internet sources the quality is very poor.

If the original sounded much better than your recording, check the recording level.

real instument track not visible on New track

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.