Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Ports do not work on MacBook Pros

In the past week, devices that I plug into my USB ports will sporadially work. I am having trouble with any or all of these devices a wired apple keyboard, a wired mouse, a USB connection to a garmin. Right now the mouse works but the keyboard won't. I am using a new 2013 MACBOOK PRO. Strangely I am having the same problem with my 2011 macbook Pro.. I have run disk utility on both.

MacBooks, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 11:19 AM

Try resetting the SMC on both

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2013 11:19 AM in response to dwilliams518

Try resetting the SMC on both

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

USB Ports do not work on MacBook Pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.