Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV won't connect to tv

Hello,

I have an Apple TV 3rd gen. I just got it at the Apple Store for free because my previous one was broken and I still had warranty. When I turn it on and plug in the HDMI cable the TV (Sony Bravia) starts connecting (it shows a display resolution: 720p/60). After that it says "Out of range". The Apple TV shows a light and the light flashes if I press a button on the remote but it still doesn't give me anything on the tv.

Thanks,

Liam

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 3:14 AM

Hi. Have you tried changing the Apple TV video resolution to find one compatible with the TV? Here's how:

On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Audio and Video and adjust the HDMI and display settings. Can’t go to Settings because of a blank screen? Then use your remote instead:

• For Apple TV (4th generation), hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds. Then your Apple TV switches to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
  • For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), hold Menu and Up for 5 seconds. Then your Apple TV switches to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
  • 8 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2017 3:14 AM in response to mtrexler01

Hi. Have you tried changing the Apple TV video resolution to find one compatible with the TV? Here's how:

On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Audio and Video and adjust the HDMI and display settings. Can’t go to Settings because of a blank screen? Then use your remote instead:

• For Apple TV (4th generation), hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds. Then your Apple TV switches to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
  • For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), hold Menu and Up for 5 seconds. Then your Apple TV switches to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
  • Apr 29, 2016 2:07 AM in response to Rudegar

Here is the verdict: After 2 visits to apple store the conclusion was it is my TV. Apple tv works fine on there test model TV.

The reality is after apples latest firmware update the apple TV is not supporting older HD ready tv... Apple is not allowing a downgrade of firmware anymore.

I refused to go and purchase a new tv as mine is working perfect. I had to go to the competition and purchased Roku this is working fine on my TV.

Disappointing Apple has not even reacted the must know about this issue.

Apple TV won't connect to tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.