Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No signal after Apple TV set-up

I hooked up my HDMI cable and the power cable and I still get "no signal" when I switch my remote to HDMI 2 (which is the port I used for the HDMI cable.)

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2017 5:35 PM

I'm new to 21st century digital entertainment. Received an LG TV and Apple TV setup for Christmas. Everything worked fine until suddenly I got the "No Signal" message on the HTMI1 setting. Checked all the wires. Fine. Then for the heck of it, I unplugged the Apple TV power cord and then reconnected it. Voila. The Apple TV menu appeared and started rebuilding. A few moments later I was back in business, just by rebooting the Apple TV.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2017 5:35 PM in response to Aen414

I'm new to 21st century digital entertainment. Received an LG TV and Apple TV setup for Christmas. Everything worked fine until suddenly I got the "No Signal" message on the HTMI1 setting. Checked all the wires. Fine. Then for the heck of it, I unplugged the Apple TV power cord and then reconnected it. Voila. The Apple TV menu appeared and started rebuilding. A few moments later I was back in business, just by rebooting the Apple TV.

Jan 15, 2017 3:43 AM in response to Aen414

My older model apple TV used to do this from time to time with my Samsung TV. It's almost as if the signal on the HMDI was not quite strong enough for the TV to recognise it. What used to work for me was to make sure the TV was looking at the correct source for the apple tv, then power off the apple tv (remove cable or unplug) - then power up again. Don't know why but once the apple tv displayed the apple logo it would appear on the TV and work fine for the rest of the day. Occasionally it would need to be repeated,

Jan 15, 2017 7:19 AM in response to DaveGarratt

Thanks, this is helpful. So far, I have no signal strength issue, best I can tell, but I'll be on the lookout for this when I upgrade hardware. I have an older version of Apple TV, as well.

I'm almost -- no, I AM -- embarrassed to admit that my no-signal problem was total user ignorance: I was not turning on Apple TV. I thought it was automatic, that it was responsive to the TV power signal, or something. It's just that the Apple TV remote does not have an obvious power switch, so I never thought the issue might be that. Now I know.

I hope other folks out there can benefit from my late learning!

Dec 31, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Aen414

Hey Aen414,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues with your Apple TV. The following resource may provide a solution:

Apple TV: Basic troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1551

If your TV screen appears fuzzy or black (you see no video)

1. Make sure the television you are using supports the Apple TV resolution requirements. Please see the Apple TV technical specifications.

2. When you connect power, check to make sure the LED turns on. If the LED is not on, then verify with a known good power outlet or connect something else to the outlet you're using for Apple TV and make sure it works (such as a lamp or clock).

3. Make sure you're using the correct video cables and that they are connected firmly to Apple TV and to your TV.

4. Connect the HDMI cable directly into the Apple TV and your television, remove any third party devices or adapters.

5. Make sure the input setting you've selected on your TV matches the input you have your video cables connected to. See the documentation that came with your TV for more information.

6. Change the Apple TV resolution by pressing and holding the Menu and Up button for six seconds. The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals. Pressing the Select button will immediately cycle to the next resolution.

7. If you are connected via HDMI, try unplugging and replugging your HDMI cable.

8. If HDMI isn't working on an Apple TV (1st generation), try component cables instead (and disconnect the HDMI cable temporarily). Read more about HDMI vs component video.

Thanks,

Matt M.

May 24, 2015 5:59 AM in response to matt00

Anything doesn't work for me so far.... Have been trying few methods without result.

The Apple TV is still on when I put the power cable on but there is no signal when connected with a TV. It was work flawlessly before and one night, it just doesn't transmit the signal all of sudden. At that time, there was no changes at all on the setup. It was the same setup that I used the night before, even the place of the apple TV doesn't move.

Initially I thought it might be the HDMI, but it wasn't. Here are the things that I have tried:

a. Change HDMI cable. I have switch it with the HDMI used for my cable TV encoder. The Apple TV HDMI was working on the cable TV but both cables (actually three cables with different brand) doesn't work on the Apple TV. TV still say no signal

b. Change HDMI port being used for Apple TV on the TV... doesn't work, still no signal

c. Replace TV.... With another LED TV and it still doesn't work. All three HDMI cables doesn't work and all HDMI slots on both old and new TV (2 HDMI port each) doesn't work

d. From Apple forum guide, I tried to reset through remote but doesn't work

e. Tried to change resolution from the remote, doesn't work.. Still no signal on the TV. Both d. and e. there were no screen on the TV whatsoever, so I just follow the steps from the guide and look at signs like the blinks of the led light on the apple tv.

f. Connect to itunes, then restore the software (including update it). Have tried this 5 times so far with no result

g. Lastly, I tried to connect my LAN cable directly to the apple TV. I just thought who knows it doesn't get Wifi signal so it just doesn't want to transmit the signal but it doesn't fix anything.

I guess I have lost anymore idea to try and conclude that something inside the apple TV might just be broken. All of my devices are apple made including the airport extreme, airport express, all my macbooks and iphones. However, only for set top box, I might replace apple TV with an android box for more open and ability to watch and stream anything that I like.

No signal after Apple TV set-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.