Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

confusion with unlock

please help! this is so confusing to me. will try to simplify.

my sister gave me her 3g after she upgraded. we are waiting for an unlock code from at&t. i use t-mobile.

1. when we receive code, do we restore backup on her intunes since she has her settings on there? or on my itunes?

2. do i have to have my new sim card from t-mobile first or later? i believe i have a micro sim card, understand the 3g uses standard.

3. does this need to be done at my house so it will pick up MY wi-fi? again, do i need to go to t-mobile first and get sim card?

please help, i want to do this correctly as not to mess up anything in the iphone or with her new upgrade.

thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 2:51 PM

movie lady wrote:

we are waiting for an unlock code from at&t. i use t-mobile.

1. when we receive code, do we restore backup on her intunes since she has her settings on there? or on my itunes?

There are no codes to unlock any iPhone.

If/When the carrier unlocks the device you (or whomever requested the unlock) will be notified via email. Follow the instructions in that email which are basically restore the device as new.

movie lady wrote:

2. do i have to have my new sim card from t-mobile first or later?

The unlock process will complete with any SIM in the device.

movie lady wrote:

3. does this need to be done at my house so it will pick up MY wi-fi? again, do i need to go to t-mobile first and get sim card?

Restore it wherever you like. Wi-Fi is irrelevant.

If you have a TMO SIM, use it... there is no reason to get a new one. If you have a micro or nanoSIM, get an adaptor or talk to TMO about getting a full size SIM for your account.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2013 2:51 PM in response to movie lady

movie lady wrote:

we are waiting for an unlock code from at&t. i use t-mobile.

There are no codes to unlock any iPhone.

If/When the carrier unlocks the device you (or whomever requested the unlock) will be notified via email. Follow the instructions in that email which are basically restore the device as new.

movie lady wrote:

2. do i have to have my new sim card from t-mobile first or later?

The unlock process will complete with any SIM in the device.

movie lady wrote:

Restore it wherever you like. Wi-Fi is irrelevant.

If you have a TMO SIM, use it... there is no reason to get a new one. If you have a micro or nanoSIM, get an adaptor or talk to TMO about getting a full size SIM for your account.

confusion with unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.