Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repairing Bootcamp after resizing

Hey All,

Just had a bad day. I decided my 100 odd gig Bootcamp drive was not big enough so I decided to decrease the size of my Macintosh HD and then use a Windows app to fill in the space, which I duly did (bad plan). This knackered my Windows side but kept OS X intact. Fixed Windows by just updating the OS and getting my files back from Windows.old. That's not the problem. Windows and OS X both boot fine, but when in OS X I can't see the Bootcamp drive in Finder. When I go into Disk Utility the drive is now called disk0s4 and apparently needs repairing when I verify it but when I try and carry out the repair I get the message "Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk... disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Could someone please tell me how to go about fixing it?

Many Thanks

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 3:02 PM

4 replies

Jan 17, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Thomha Gold

You can not use Disk Utility to resize partitions on a disk that contains a Boot Camp partition. The way to resize a Boot Camp partition is with Camp Tune. If you tried resizing using Didk Utilities then you will have to back up all your data, erase your drive, reinstall OSX, and reinstall Windows by running the Boot Camp Assistant app again.

Jan 17, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Thomha Gold

As Bob says you are running an unsupported setup and as such it may be that nobody knows how to fix your problem.

I'm not even sure how Windows is booting at all but it obviously is. You've been lucky to get this far, I would say. It is likely that this setup will not remain stable.

What I would recommend is to backup everything you want from Windows then remove Windows through Bootcamp (if it will let you) and then stretch the Macintosh HD back to its full size again.

Then after a reboot I would start afresh with a new Windows installation through Bootcamp - this time with the correct amount of space allocated.

Repairing Bootcamp after resizing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.