Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The topo map option is now gone from Aperture?

Just confirming that this is the case. Is there no way now to get a useable reference map when tagging GPS info? Most of my pics don't have gps data until I add it later. Pretty much impossible to do with these street maps or satellite views when 99% of my pics are in the backcountry.

imac 24 2.93 gHz

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 5:42 PM

20 replies

Dec 29, 2013 6:59 PM in response to phil g ut

Not a feature I remember or ever used. Just remember the basic three, road, satellite and hybrid.

If you do a lot of backcountry photography and the location is important you should consider a gps tagger or an app for your smart phone.

Taggers have gotten fairly inexpensive and the battery life is much better then what you'll get from most smart phones.

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano And if you already have a GPS device with you, you can get usually get the track file out of it and import that into Aperture to automatically tag the images.

Dec 29, 2013 7:06 PM in response to phil g ut

Here are screenshots of how it used to be. http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/09/apples_aperture_3_brings_200_new_featu res_including_faces_places

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/09/apples_aperture_3_brings_200_new_featu res_including_faces_places(Since I've not updated my iPhoto recently, it still has this same option.) I need this for my photos that aren't from my iPhone, obviously. The Nikon gps dongle is expensive, and won't help with the older photos.

Dec 29, 2013 7:23 PM in response to phil g ut

Looks like you're right, seems it gave you googles terrain option. Strange I don't recall seeing that option, must be age catching up with me!

Is your Aperture library still compatible with iPhoto? If so you could switch to iPhoto to do the location tagging. Failing that, you could temporarily move your photos; say create an iPhoto library out of the images in an Aperture project. Tag them in iPhoto and then move them back to Aperture by importing the iPhoto library. Bit of a faff but might get you there.

Also send a feedback request to ask for the terrain feature back.

Another option could be to explore tagging in a different app that creates XMP sidecar file with the location info, pat the sidecar with the master and then seeing if Aperture will import the data with 'update from original'.

Andy

Dec 29, 2013 7:53 PM in response to Najinsky

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize I can still tag my photos, it's just that however I do it will require a bit more effort since I can't use the terrain version natively. I guess this is all fallout from the Apple/Google split, and I hadn't paid that much attention to it since I don't rely on iphone maps that much.
I may see if there's any interest in allowing alternative maps.

Dec 29, 2013 8:35 PM in response to phil g ut

Perhaps I have not been clear: I know how to tag photos with gps info. Many of my photos are not tagged with gps info. I would like to tag these easily in Aperture. It used to be a simple matter when the topo/terrain option was available; it is no longer available.

Saying "you should tag your photos with gps info" is sound advice, but not particulary helpful here.

Dec 29, 2013 8:43 PM in response to phil g ut

I think what Frank is saying is your GPS should have a logger function which creates a log file that records everywhere you've been automatically. This includes the time and date.

In Aperture, you can import this log file and it will assign the location to photos from that log file based on the time and date, everything should be pretty much automatic after importing the log file and a lot less work for you.

Andy

Dec 30, 2013 4:50 AM in response to Najinsky

Najinsky wrote:

I usually take a few reference photos with my iPhone and copy the location data from that, but I guess that wouldn't work out in the wilderness!

Andy

Actually it should work. The iPhones GPS function is true GPS it does not rely on being in range of a wireless or wifi signal.

The major drawback to using an iPhone is that the GPS drains the battery in short order. So unless you carry an external battery or are out for a short time you'll mot likely run out of battery. When I use the iPhone as my bike computer 4 or 5 hours is the max time I'll get from it without an extra battery.

The topo map option is now gone from Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.