Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to browse iTunes library from Apple TV

Hi,

I know this topic is discussed a lot but I am stuck...

I just got an Apple TV 3rd gen and I got Home Sharing worked only once, within 3 days.

My system:

Windows 7 x64

iTunes 11.1.3.8

Apple TV software 6.0.2 (6646.81.1)

iOS 6.1.2 (10B146) on my iPhone 4 (I use Remote app, unable to determine the version, but not the latest)

The Apple TV can find the Library, but fail to connect.

Here is the sequence of the events:

Day1

- enabled home sharing on Apple TV and iTunes

- failed to connect

- several attempts of disabling / re-enabling Home Sharing

- The Apple TV did an automatice update, then rebooted

Day2

- The following day, I tried to reconnect and suprise, it worked

- I was able to play songs and watch pictures from my iTunes library

Day 3

- Confured remote on my iPhone. Originally, I was not able to connect, remote was not able to find the library

- disabled / re-enabled home sharing, then remote was able to connect to the library

- turned on Apple TV, unable to connect to the iTunes library anymore. Hard to tell if it is due to remote added in the picture but I don't believe so

Detailed symptoms

I select "computers" from the the Apple TV qnd it says : Loading "Library's name" ...

Then I get the error:

------------------

Could not connect to "Library's name"

Make sure the computer is on the same network as your Apple TV, the iTunes version is up to date, and iTunes is running

------------------

Troubleshooting done:

- Remote app cannot connect to the library either

- disabled home sharing on the remote app, to remove it from the picture

- Tried everything listed there:

Remote app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can't connect to iTunes or Apple TV

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1741

- Windows Firewall is completely disable (service is stopped)

- Enabled / disabled Home Sharing several times

- shutdown, unplugged Apple TV

- uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes completely

- Rebooted computer

- Rebooted Router

- Bypassed the router and simplified the configuration by connecting Apple TV directly to computer via ethernet and configured manual IP address in same subnet. WiFi was disabled. Can ping Apple TV from computer

- Tried to connect the Apple TV to a different computer running Windows 8, same iTunes version 11.1.3.8 (directly cabled via ethernet, Windows firewall disabled) > same problem

- tired to connect remote (latest version) from an iPhone 5, iOS 7 to the library on the Windows 8 > same problem

Conclusion:

It seems to be an issue with the latest iTunes version, neither the Apple TV nor the remote app can connect

Please help !

Apple TV, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 8:24 PM

14 replies

Jan 1, 2014 1:05 PM in response to mactanzi

mactanzi, do you have the same config ? windows 7 and same iTunes version?

I open a ticket with support, we spent 2 hours with no progress: i disabled most of the windows services and uninstalled the antivirus.

Instead of wasting my time, i reinstalled a clean Windows 7 x64 SP1. Right now, I have Windows 7 fresh installed, with iTunes 11, latest version installed, and nothing else (no antivirus). I am also connected to a different router, at my friend's house so roll out a router issue. I still have the same problem.

I hardly believe there is some sort of incompatibility issues for home sharing between iTunes and Windows.

In the past I had no problem connecting to iTunes with remote app with the PIN sharing, instead of home sharing in the same environement (older version of iTunes though, but same windows and router with no firmware upgrade)

Jan 2, 2014 1:37 PM in response to LeCluz

after reading tons of posts, I finally found this solution which worked:

problem: ios remote app cannot find itunes library

solution: disable IPv6 on your network card

1. make sure you enabled private sharing in itunes (menu: file - private sharing - activate)

2. close itunes, close ipad/iphone remote app

3. disable IPv6 on your network card in your windows network settings (no idea for macs)

4. open itunes

5. open remote app .. library should be found

After the first time the app found the itunes library, I was able to enable IPv6 again and the remote app still worked...

disable IPv6 on your network card:

1) open control panel.

2)Choose Network and internet

3)Select the VIEW NETWORK STATUS TASKS under NETWORK and SHARING CENTER section

4) Choose the active network connection. It is usually name " wireless Network Connection 1" or something similiar.

5) Click the properties button

6) If the Internet PROTOCOL VERSION 6(TCP/IPv6) is checked, uncheck it, then click OK.

7) Click CLOSE

8) Restart iTunes and try to use the Home Sharing feature again.

Jan 2, 2014 8:29 PM in response to mactanzi

OK, I got it working !

Interesting posts:

Troubleshooting Home Sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2972

Solved: iTunes Home Sharing with Windows Firewall

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5402082?answerId=23283028022#23283028022

What I did:

- In the following KB article, it is only mentionned to authorize iTunes executable: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2553.
I checked Bonjour Service as well. With a fresh/default install (I reinstalled Windows, and installed iTunes only), Bonjour was only added for public networks, not for private networks : very dumb !!! So I added Bonjour for private networks. Note: there are 2 entries for the service in Win7 x64:

* one for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder"

* and one for "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder"

Then, It worked better. But if I tried to connect the Apple TV and forgot to start iTunes, then obviously it failed, but it will not connect after starting iTunes, event after several retries. I had to manually disable and re-enable Home Sharing on the Apple TV.

- The fact that it was not able to reconnect made me think the issue is was most likely on the UDP side than TCP. So I added UPD 5353 inbound/outbound, and now the Apple TV will connect with no issue, even if I "forget" to start iTunes and start it afterwards, the Apple TV connect fine after the first retry

What I learned:

- Windows Firewall *****: I noticed, stopping the service and disabling the Firewall via the control panel does not have the same effect. I stopped Windows Firewall service 5in the service list) and still had the issue. The problem went away when I disabled the Firewall via control panel. I tried several times to confirm this theory.

- iTunes setup does not properly configure the Windows Firewall for Bonjour Service. Maybe Apple can comment on that ???

- Connection the Apple TV directly to the computer via ethernel cable on isolated network is not accurate test because Home Sharing requires internet connection at ALL time, even after enabling it. I enable home sharing on iTunes and Apple TV, tested communication OK, can browse iTunes library. Then; I cabled Apple TV / computer via ethernet (no WiFi ie no internet connection), Apple TV was not able to reconnect to the iTunes library anymore

Mactanzi, I believe your issue is different because your remote app can connect to iTunes. My issue was defintely on teh computer: neither the Apple TV, nor the Remote App would work.

Hope this can help others for troubleshooting.

Jan 3, 2014 2:44 PM in response to LeCluz

Well, it's working now and I don't how...

1. I read everything you posted

2. I turned the Firewall off from the Control Panel

3. Closed iTunes

4. Restarted iTunes

5. Went to the apple TV and home sharing works

6. Went back and turned on the Firewall and Home Sharing is still working

Let's see if this lasts 🙂

Thanks for all your help and support!

Jan 4, 2014 9:44 PM in response to mactanzi

It may be intermittent at this point. Try to reboot the devices and see if it is still working. The fact that the communication has already been establish before enabling the firewall can explain why it is still working after, especially on a stateful firewall.

But you definetely pinpointed the issue: the firewall.

Sep 27, 2015 6:01 AM in response to LeCluz

Hi, apologies if this was already mentioned, but i thought i'd share what worked for me.

I had the same issue with Apple TV not being able to access my shared iTunes media library, just showing me "Loading xxxx Library", eventually saying it can't connect.

Tried loads of suggestions, until i stopped the Bonjour service, then restarted it. All of a sudden, it worked!

Not sure why that fixed it, but that's computers and technology for you - you don't always get a logical explanation.

In Windows 10:

- Open task manager;

- Select the Services tab;

- Select Bonjour Service;

- Right click, select Stop; (or select Restart)

- Right click, select Start

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Steve

Jan 6, 2016 6:05 PM in response to LeCluz

I am using ESET Smart Security Suite. I did everything from logging out of iTunes, ATV, Turn On/Off Sharing, but none of that worked. But as soon as I turned off the firewall, it worked... INSTANTLY! So I created a rule to allow inbound/outbound traffic from the ATV IP and it works flawlessly.

I hope this helps some others.

Thanks,

Adam

Unable to browse iTunes library from Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.