Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipad says it is up to date but it is operating on 5.1.1 how do I update to the newest operating system?

Hi, my ipad tells me it is up to date when I check on the device and when I try to update it through itunes. I made sure I have the most recent itunes on my computer but it still says I am up to date. Any idea how to fix this issue?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 8:05 PM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2013 7:07 AM in response to GingerSusann

Stedman 1 is right. However, I just responded to someone in your situation with this info, in case you're interested-

If you need a newer version of the ipad to access apps you need, you might look into selling your ipad 1. There are many ways you can do this. For example, gazelle.com will give $50.00 cash for any ipad 1 in good condition. Cashforyourmac.com will match that and right now has a holiday bonus of $25.00, so that's a $105.00. Sellyourmac.com will make a cash offer and you can counter it. Cashforyourmac.com will also meet it and give you the $25.00 holiday bonus. All have free shipping.

You can then put that money toward a new ipad and if you don't want to spend the money on a new one you might want to consider the online only Apple certified refurbished store.It's probably the only place where you can buy a refurbished ipad where each comes with a new front and back cover, a brand new battery, and a full one year warranty including 90 days of phone support and free shipping. Ipad versions come and go on the site, so if you see what you want, buy it fast. If it's not there, be patient. Most will show up again.

Pleas note there are many sites/ways to sell your ipad 1. Amazon and others will pay you with gift cards, but then you're restricted to using it on their sites. Too many seem to be sitting on ebay, etc., and you do not get warrantees, etc. in most cases. Some might have been stolen and new owners of them are stuck becasue someone's else's ID and info are on it, so it can't be restored. Google places to sell your ipad 1. There will be many.

Hope this helps.

my ipad says it is up to date but it is operating on 5.1.1 how do I update to the newest operating system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.