Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repairing the IR sensor connector on MacMini logic board?

Hi!

I have a newly purchace MacMini, and accidentally damaged logic board when I tried to replace the hard disk,

and install a second disk as well. This requires removing the board.

I believe I have damaged the IR sensor connector (the four metal "tongues" are bent, one has come off completely).

I include a picture showing where the damage is.

I was extremely careful, yet the metal tongues got damaged/fell off, as if they hadn't been installed properly in the first place.

Is there any chance of repairing such a logic board without replacing it?

Alternatevely, I could use the machine as is, if there is no risk of fire or elecrical problems.

What is this connector for? If it is only used for the remote control, for example, I could do without that function...

As long as the machine won't catch fire and burn down the house 😀

User uploaded file

Cheers

Hans Karlsson

Mac mini, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

8 replies

Dec 30, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Hans Karlsson

Bummer..!

It's hard to tell by your image. But it looks like you busted the IR plug connecter off of the board and 3 of the 4 connectors are hanging on the studs.

User uploaded file

If that is the case, then it should be safe to use as long as the remaining stubs and connectors are not crossed or touching something else.

User uploaded file

From the way it looks, it might be a good idea to either shorten them or use a dab of RTV Silicon to prevent them from ever getting together.

Jan 8, 2014 7:43 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks a lot!

I proceeded to redo the installation of the OWC data doubler kit for the Mac Mini, adding a second drive. Unfortunately, the old drive doesn't seem to be connected properly, it is not recocnized by the system. :-(

Well, that's another thread I guess. I don't believe it is related to the broken connector here...

In any case, the data doubler kit is a great idea, but I recommend that you use extreme care if you try it. I broke a connector and lost a drive...

BTW, the new Toshiba SSD/HDD feels snappier than the original one provided by Apple, but not much. I had a true SSD in my older machine, and it is _much_ faster. I would even consider booting from an external SSD connected to the Thunderbolt port if it would be faster than this setup. Would it?

Cheers

Jul 13, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Hans Karlsson

Hans Karlsson wrote:

I had a true SSD in my older machine, and it is _much_ faster. I would even consider booting from an external SSD connected to the Thunderbolt port if it would be faster than this setup. Would it?

Usually the Hybrid HDDs have 8/16GB of flash, but that may not be sufficient for specific usage patterns. I am using an external SSD (256 Samsung 840 Pro) in an enclosure to run Mavericks on a 2010 Mac mini Server (it has SL server on the internal HDDs) for several months. No issues with this setup so far.

Jul 13, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Loner T

For people that lost their second drive after screwing the IR connector/socket ... I can confirm that there should be no affect on the drives. In my case, I double-checked my drive connections and found that the flat connector had actually rocked out of position when fastening the black plastic cover that sits over the second (and partially the second) drive connector. I just ensure it was fastened flat and booted up to find it now appeared.

Best of luck.

Repairing the IR sensor connector on MacMini logic board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.