Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the best practice for setting up and migrating two notebook users on one desktop

My wife and I have just purchased a desktop iMac and would like to migrate our 2 notebooks to it. I plan to use the Migration Application to achieve this. I am trying to gather information on the best ways to establish a main music library merging ours together, multiple photo libraries keeping ours apart and maintaining unique user log ins. I'm sure alot of this stuff is may appear to be pretty straight forward setting up multiple users and all, yet we individually have never established multiple users on our personal notebooks, so there will be some bit of learning. Any advice on the hang ups or tricks users have encountered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 11:59 PM

1 reply

Dec 30, 2013 2:46 PM in response to stonester

Step one would be to the steps in Pondini's Setup New Mac guide and migrate your account, apps, and settings from your machine, using the Setup Assistant on first boot. Then, use the Migration Assistant to migrate your wife's account to the machine. That should carry over her photos and music. Merging those libraries should be detailed in the respective help files for iTunes and iPhoto. I don't share anything and only have one account, so I can't help with those details.

what is the best practice for setting up and migrating two notebook users on one desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.