Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini with Wacom Cintiq 12WX

I have a new mac mini with a wacom cintiq 12WX used as a secondary monitor. The primary monitor is an excellent old Samsumg SyncMaster P2450.

This setup works fine if I attach the wacom after boot, but if its attached when the mac boots, the wacom is always used as the primary monitor.

The Samsung is attached (via a DVI to HDMI connector) to the HDMI slot, and the wacom is attached (via a DVI to Thunderbolt connector) to the Thunderbolt slot. The problem persists if this is swapped around.

Is there some way I can force the Samsung to be used as the primary monitor?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 11:28 AM

Is that after using this?

1. Make sure each display is properly connected and powered on.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. From the View menu, choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Disable (uncheck) "Mirror Displays".

In the Displays pane of System Preferences, each blue box represents a display that is currently connected. The size of each box is relative to the current resolution of the display it represents. In the example pictured below, the larger box on the left represents an Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display, while the smaller box on the right is the built-in display of a 13" MacBook Air (Color LCD).

The white bar at the top of the left blue box represents the menu bar you see at the top of your display. Menu bar placement determines which display is treated as the primary display in OS X. To change your primary display, click and drag the white bar from one blue box to another.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5019

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 11:28 AM in response to Mattillo

Is that after using this?

1. Make sure each display is properly connected and powered on.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. From the View menu, choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Disable (uncheck) "Mirror Displays".

In the Displays pane of System Preferences, each blue box represents a display that is currently connected. The size of each box is relative to the current resolution of the display it represents. In the example pictured below, the larger box on the left represents an Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display, while the smaller box on the right is the built-in display of a 13" MacBook Air (Color LCD).

The white bar at the top of the left blue box represents the menu bar you see at the top of your display. Menu bar placement determines which display is treated as the primary display in OS X. To change your primary display, click and drag the white bar from one blue box to another.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5019

Dec 30, 2013 11:39 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes it is. Mirror displays is unchecked and Arrangement is correct when wacom cintiq is connected after boot. But if connected before boot - arrangement is incorrect. I guess its a relatively minor inconvenienece - its just i use the tablet most days so its a bit of a pain to keep plugging and unplugging it.

Do you think it would be more likely to remember the correct arrangement if both displays were connected to the thunderbolt port via a splitter?

Dec 30, 2013 1:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Adding a new admin account and logging in did not solve the issue.

However, I just restarted then signed in using the wacom (I had quit and unplugged the wacom at this poiunt previously). Once signed in, I reset the display arrangement and shut down again. When I restarted it seems to have remembered the correct settings.

Thanks for all your help - I appreciate your time.

Mac mini with Wacom Cintiq 12WX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.