Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud versus "on my Mac"

I'm learning more about iCloud. Now with my Mac Calendar. I'm going to start using my Calendars in the iCloud so to access of course on all my devices. Here is my question: What happens to my Calendars in iCloud, let's say, if the iCloud failed for some reason; is my Calendar still hard loaded in my computer or is it lost?

Let me ask it this way: Is there a difference between having my iCal "on my Mac" and also in the cloud, as opposed to having my iCal only in the cloud and not stored on my computer?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 7:06 AM

Your Calendars (and Contacts) are stored on the iCloud servers, a local copy (a cached copy) is stored on your computer. If you can not connect to iCloud (no internet for example) you can still use the local copy, any changes to it will be uploaded to iCloud when you next connect.

Any Calendars you put in 'On My Mac' will only be on your Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 7:06 AM in response to James Thomson

Your Calendars (and Contacts) are stored on the iCloud servers, a local copy (a cached copy) is stored on your computer. If you can not connect to iCloud (no internet for example) you can still use the local copy, any changes to it will be uploaded to iCloud when you next connect.

Any Calendars you put in 'On My Mac' will only be on your Mac.

iCloud versus "on my Mac"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.