Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems creating a Office 365 exchange account in mail

I am attempting to add my Office 365 exchange email account to mail, however when I enter the details in System Preferences/Internet Account I get the error message "System Preference pane encounted an error. If I add a further exchange account with a differnt email account name but the same domain name it works fine.

I have tried it on a different mac and have the same problem but the other email account works fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 5:57 AM

9 replies

Jun 17, 2014 7:19 AM in response to Rob Solomon

I know this is old but wanted to post an answer since I have been having this problem and found a fix that is working for me.

What you enter in the "Name" field when adding the Exchange account must exactly match the Full Name set up in the Office365 admin panel. Obviously the email address and password must also match and that can be tested using the OWA login.

I can reproduce this error with multiple accounts by entering only the first name, or the wrong name, and as soon as I correct it the account creates successfully.

Hope that helps someone.

Jul 10, 2014 12:10 PM in response to Craig_VXIT

I'm using OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 and had the same problem. OSX would not set up my exchange (office 365) account, even though my iPhone did just fine with the same info (email address and password). It didn't surprise me too much, because of what I learned on this thread: Re: Mac Mail - Not working with my Exchange account?.

Although the OSX "Internet Accounts" pane in "System Preferences" would ask for the same info, it would just crash and report: “There was an error in internet accounts preference pane”, so there was no way to add a new “Exchange” account. I learned online that I could at least create the account by taking the computer offline while setting it up in "Internet Accounts". So, I did that, and got the account created (I used "outlook.office365.com" as the server name). Then I put the computer back online and went into Mail->Preferences->Accounts, and selected the new exchange account on the left to get to the details of the exchange account. Under the "Account Information" tab, all I had to do was to enter my whole email address as the “User Name” - then it started to successfully connect to the exchange server.

Maybe this will help some too.

Jul 16, 2014 1:58 PM in response to tfergus0

I started to do this "offline" method, but decided to try an alternative spelling of my name as Craig_VXIT indicated might work, and it all seemed to set up fine. Clearly for me at least the crashes of the "Internet Accounts" part of "System Preferences" and Mail.app's crashes when setting up the account in question are tied to some problem with the "name" not correctly matching what the Exchange server is expecting (ie. "John Smith" vs "John Paul Smith").

Problems creating a Office 365 exchange account in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.