Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac 27inch as display for PC

Hi

I have been looking into this on and off for months now and I can see within this forum this has been asked before although it appears to be a few years old.

I have a mid 2010 imac with the mini display port and from what I have read this will support target display mode.

Ideally I would like a cable that would allow me to attach my PC's graphics card (DVI) to the mini display port but it seems this could be expensive and also may not provide a good resolution.

I am trying to locate a low - mid range graphics card for my PC that will connect to the iMac to use as a display in full resolution. The help I have seen appears to be out dated so I was wondering if anyone is currently doing this and suggest some hardware I can use.

Thanks for any help offered. Would really love to get this set up.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 6:12 AM

3 replies

Dec 30, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Silentbob1978

You have to look for a GPU with Mini DisplayPort. This is the only way of being able to use your Mid 2010 27-inch iMac as an external display.

After getting it, connect the GPU to the PC and get a Mini DisplayPort cable to connect the GPU to the iMac. Then, press Command and F2 keys to enable Target Display mode. For more information about Target Display mode > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Note that the option to use your iMac as an external display for a PC is not officially supported, so it may not work

Using iMac 27inch as display for PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.