Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading apps?

All,

Everyone once in a while I upgrade an app and really regret the upgrade. Because I'm not upgrading to iOS 7, most times the app store will provide a notice that the new upgrade is not compatible w/the iOS 6.2.1 (which is all fine and well). Sometimes, though, that doesn't happen and the app will just crash and crash and crash. You contact the app support and they tell you to upgrade to the newest OS and everything will be fine... otherwise sol.

So when an app is upgraded, how can one go 'backwards' to the previous version? I could hunt for a .ipa and manually install, but what a pia - can't we simply roll back a version? I expect so I'm just not seeing the rollback feature?

-pr

iPhone 4S

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 7:35 AM

7 replies

Dec 30, 2013 7:39 AM in response to PixelRogue

If you have an older app's .ipa file, you can install that via iTunes. Otherwise, there really isn't much of an option if the vendor is not adeqeuately supporting an older version of iOS. There isn't, and never has been, a "rollback feature". Frankly, sooner or later, you are going to need to update to iOS 7 to maintain a reasonable level of functionality on apps.

Dec 30, 2013 7:47 AM in response to PixelRogue

Yes, a matter of time ...

1) iOS 7 will bring my slightly outdated iPhone to an unbearable speed,

2) though some features of iOS 7 are desired (ie air drop), find the UI of iOS 6 better and easier on the eye.

A number of apps have done this and really wish there was a way to know (in advance w/o having to become Sherlock Holmes to do deep research) what impacts will happen or, at best, to know it will AT LEAST WORK. Some apps would also pull a swicher-oo and suddenly you are required to create accounts or pay subscriptions on the upgrade, but there was not notice of that in advance.

Dec 30, 2013 7:58 AM in response to PixelRogue

iPhone 4S works just fine with iOS 7. The vast majority of iPhone 4S & iOS 7 users experience no issues. My own iPhone 4 (not S), runs better on iOS 7 than iOS 6. Exactly WHY do you have this belief that iOS 7 will 'cripple' your iPhone 4S?

As far as the aesthetics preference, nothing to be done about that.

And as far as the Apps not providing details on what the update will change, that's, again, on the app developer. Nothing Apple can do there.

Downgrading apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.