Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FORGOT LOGIN PASSWORD?

How can I login if I forgot my password?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 11:38 AM

With 10.8 or 10.9 restart holding the Command and R keys, then from the drop down
of actions, choose Terminal. When Terminal opens type:

resetpassword

and press enter.

You will get a reset password window from which you can select the user you want to reset, the admin account in your case. Type a new password twice, do not do anything with the hint box. Click Save, then confirm you want to do this reset. Then click apply to the user's home directory, and click the apple in the left corner, and choose Restart.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 11:38 AM in response to gavinbuggy

With 10.8 or 10.9 restart holding the Command and R keys, then from the drop down
of actions, choose Terminal. When Terminal opens type:

resetpassword

and press enter.

You will get a reset password window from which you can select the user you want to reset, the admin account in your case. Type a new password twice, do not do anything with the hint box. Click Save, then confirm you want to do this reset. Then click apply to the user's home directory, and click the apple in the left corner, and choose Restart.

FORGOT LOGIN PASSWORD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.