Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relocating all Applications from shared to user account

OSX 10.9.1 and a simple Admin user account and all I need to do is move all my applications from the shared applications folder in /Volumes/Applications/ to /Volumes/Users/Username/Applications/

And when I do I get aliases being created... never seen this before and can't figure it out.

I am wanting to clone my entire Mac with CCC in order to reinstall it with a clean Mavericks and having the Apps in the user account is step one in the clean up.

Many thanks

g

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 10:59 AM

4 replies

Dec 31, 2013 1:35 PM in response to Guy Hollister

Guy Hollister wrote:

Of course you can move any application from the folder - I have managed to copy them from the folder to my user account without any problem. I just want to move all of them to my user account as thats the account and i dont want any apps in my machines apps folder. Simple.

Not simple, since most of those moves and deletes rerquire admin permissions to delete. Also, you might be surprised when you install an OS update and it fails to find the Apple apps in the root-level Applications folder. Anyway, whether they reside in the root-level or user's Apps folder buys you nothing. That's why I asked why do you want to do it?

Relocating all Applications from shared to user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.