Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swapping out optical drive for SSD

Early 2011, 15" Macbook Pro with Mavericks 9.1

So basically, I want to replace my optical drive with an SSD. Seen a few discussions on it, know basically how it works, am aware of the warranty voiding issue, and also aware of how people at apple who made my computer are 12034725801x smarter than me and I shouldn't do it. I'm gonna do it anyway.

What are the best brands for the superdrive slot to hold the second drive, and should I leave the HDD in the primary slot or move it to the secondary?

The first one is the main question. I've read that only the primary can boot, and if that's true, then it would have to be the SSD for sure. Confirmation would be nice.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 11:16 AM

Get the OWC DataDoubler bracket for your model. The SSD should replace the HDD. The HDD goes where the optical drive is located. What you need to do:

How to replace or upgrade a drive in a laptop

Step One: Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Step Two: Remove the old drive and install the new drive. Place the old drive in an external USB enclosure. You can buy one at OWC who is also a good vendor for drives.

Step Three: Boot from the external drive. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager appears. Select the icon for the external drive then click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Step Four: New Hard Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your new hard drive (this is the entry with the

mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of

the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive

is failing or has failed and will need replacing. Otherwise, click on the

Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from

the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended

(Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to

GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and

wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the

drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main

window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the

Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to

return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several

hours depending upon the drive size.

Step Five: Clone the old drive to the new drive

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.

5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the

Destination entry field.

6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the

Source entry field.

7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the new internal drive. Source means the old external drive.

Step Six: Open the Startup Disk preferences and select the new internal volume. Click on the Restart button. You should boot from the new drive. Eject the external drive and disconnect it from the computer.

If you wish to use your Home folder on the HDD instead of on the SSD:

How to use an SSD with your HDD

If you are going to use an SSD as a boot drive together with your existing HDD as the "data" drive, here's what you can do.

After installing the SSD you will need to partition and format the SSD using Disk Utility. Then, install OS X on the SSD. After OS X has been installed boot from the SSD. Use Startup Disk preferences to set the SSD as the startup volume.

Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and authenticate. CTRL- or RIGHT-click on your user account listing in the sidebar and select Advanced Options from the context menu.

You will see a field labeled "Home dir:" At the right end you will see a Change button. Click on it. In the file dialog locate the Home folder now located on the HDD (HDD/Users/account_name/.) Select the folder, click on Open button. Restart the computer as directed.

When the computer boots up it will now be using the Home folder located on the HDD.

Another more technical method involving the Terminal and aliases is discussed in depth here: Using OS X with an SSD plus HDD setup - Matt Gemmell. This is my preferred approach because I can select which of the Home's folders I want on the HDD and which I don't want. For example, I like to keep the Documents and Library folders on the SSD because I access their content frequently.

Be sure you retain the fully bootable system on your HDD in case you ever need it.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 11:16 AM in response to needshelp37

Get the OWC DataDoubler bracket for your model. The SSD should replace the HDD. The HDD goes where the optical drive is located. What you need to do:

How to replace or upgrade a drive in a laptop

Step One: Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Step Two: Remove the old drive and install the new drive. Place the old drive in an external USB enclosure. You can buy one at OWC who is also a good vendor for drives.

Step Three: Boot from the external drive. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager appears. Select the icon for the external drive then click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Step Four: New Hard Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your new hard drive (this is the entry with the

mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of

the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive

is failing or has failed and will need replacing. Otherwise, click on the

Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from

the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended

(Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to

GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and

wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the

drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main

window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the

Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to

return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several

hours depending upon the drive size.

Step Five: Clone the old drive to the new drive

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.

5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the

Destination entry field.

6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the

Source entry field.

7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the new internal drive. Source means the old external drive.

Step Six: Open the Startup Disk preferences and select the new internal volume. Click on the Restart button. You should boot from the new drive. Eject the external drive and disconnect it from the computer.

If you wish to use your Home folder on the HDD instead of on the SSD:

How to use an SSD with your HDD

If you are going to use an SSD as a boot drive together with your existing HDD as the "data" drive, here's what you can do.

After installing the SSD you will need to partition and format the SSD using Disk Utility. Then, install OS X on the SSD. After OS X has been installed boot from the SSD. Use Startup Disk preferences to set the SSD as the startup volume.

Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and authenticate. CTRL- or RIGHT-click on your user account listing in the sidebar and select Advanced Options from the context menu.

You will see a field labeled "Home dir:" At the right end you will see a Change button. Click on it. In the file dialog locate the Home folder now located on the HDD (HDD/Users/account_name/.) Select the folder, click on Open button. Restart the computer as directed.

When the computer boots up it will now be using the Home folder located on the HDD.

Another more technical method involving the Terminal and aliases is discussed in depth here: Using OS X with an SSD plus HDD setup - Matt Gemmell. This is my preferred approach because I can select which of the Home's folders I want on the HDD and which I don't want. For example, I like to keep the Documents and Library folders on the SSD because I access their content frequently.

Be sure you retain the fully bootable system on your HDD in case you ever need it.

Dec 30, 2013 11:32 AM in response to needshelp37

Yes. Firstly, the SSD may not be large enough to handle the clone or the clone would use up too much space. Secondly, you will have your old Home folder on the SSD which you don't want, if you plan to use the one on the HDD. You would then need to remove it from the SSD after you set up the Home folder from the HDD. Thirdly, this way you start off with an SSD that has a clean installation of OS X, and it will pretty much remain that way except for when you add additional applications.

Dec 30, 2013 12:13 PM in response to Kappy

I just add a missing piece of information. It is not true that the MBP only boots from the main bay. In my system, the boot disk is a SATA-2 SSD in the optical bay, and the SATA-3, 960GB SSD is in the main bay (as the main bay is reliable at SATA-3 speed, whilst the optical bay is reliable only at SATA-2 speed).

So, there is no need to use an external USB enclosure for preparing your system.

Just move your HD to the optibay, place your new SSD in the main bay, and power on. The system will boot your original OSX form the HD in the optibay.

Once up, follow the excellent guide above for preparing the SSD and installing a fresh copy of OSX on it. You can also CC Clone your current OSX over it, and make later the modification for moving your "Home" directory on the data disk.

In my system, indeed, I prefer to leave the home directory on the system disk (making the installation more "standard", some programs rely on this standard location of the home directory). I have the habit to never store data files inside my home directory, I did always use a fully separate data partition (in NTFS format, for maximum compatibility and reliability, including data recovering).

Final point: I cannot imagine how the new SSD can be smaller than the original HD.

It would be a step backward...

Looking at the current price of fast SATA-3 SSDs (either Crucial M500 or Samsung 840), I do not see any reason for not purchasing a 960Gb SSD. I purchased the Crucial M500, because it is reported to be more reliable and "Mac-friendly", albeit slower than the Samsung 840. The price was substantually the same, around 400 Euros for the 960 Gb.

Dec 30, 2013 12:20 PM in response to angelofarina

I really only want the SSD to hold the boot files and a few apps. I don't need it for primary file storage really, and the TB option is beyond my price range for what I need it to do. I will be getting the Crucial M500.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the main bay can sustain SATA III. I would give you some points if they weren't already gone.

Dec 30, 2013 12:30 PM in response to angelofarina

You Said: "Thank you. I will just go ahead and get a SATA I SSD since they're cheaper for the size I need."

I warmly encourage you to spend some more money, and purchase a modern, large SATA-3 SSD.

It is the best way I have ever spent money, when I purchased my Crucial M500 960Gb.

The large a SSD is, the faster will be...

The last-generation units (either Curcial or Samsung) have the best Gb/dollar ratio, purchasing a previous generation SSD you are going to spend more for every Gb you buy...

And your machine supports SATA-3 speed (6 Gbps) in the main bay...

So why not profiting of this at full speed?

OOPS! EDIT: I saw your post, the M500 is an excellent choice. Of course, if you cannot afford the 960GB, get a smaller size.

Howeever, in my case, it revealed more important to have a fast DATA disk than a fast SYSTEM disk. The fast system shorten the boot time, but I reboot perhaps once a week. Instead, a fast DATA disk speeds up all your massive data processing...

As I make multichannel sound recordings (32 channels, I own an Eigenmike), data processing is really massive and heavy, and the fast SSD did speed everything by a factor 5 compared to the original HD... As said, it was one of the best expenses I ever made....

Message was edited by: angelofarina

Swapping out optical drive for SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.