Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro 10.1 crashed and my project is gone.

When I updated last week to version 10.1, I created a new library for a new series of videos I'd be making. I was working on the first one today, when all of a sudden Final Cut crashed. I reopened and the new library I created is gone and so is the project I've been working on all day.

Whenever the last version of Final Cut crashed, it always opened back up to my current project without losing any changes. Why has all my work disappeared now? Is there any place I might look to find it?

I just with there were a program with all the features of Final Cut without any of the bugs or issues. I'm getting tired of working overtime to deal with software issues.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 10:18 AM

I have been crashing alot as well, however your work is not lost. Under File, open library and you will find the project you were working on, pretty much the way it was when Final Cut crashed. Hope Apple fixes the crash problem soon. i have been working on a project and crashes about every 20 minutes, but project stays intact.

Hope this helps. Funny that Final cut does not reopen to last library used.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2013 10:18 AM in response to jdhoop

I have been crashing alot as well, however your work is not lost. Under File, open library and you will find the project you were working on, pretty much the way it was when Final Cut crashed. Hope Apple fixes the crash problem soon. i have been working on a project and crashes about every 20 minutes, but project stays intact.

Hope this helps. Funny that Final cut does not reopen to last library used.

Jan 2, 2014 8:31 AM in response to biglug57

You're right about opening the library from the file menu. However, today I have a new problem. I was working on a different project and Final Cut crashed again, and this time the library is still there but the project seems to be gone. It's not where it was in the list of projects, and I don't know where to find it now.

It's so hard to find anything with all these libraries and events and clips. I don't understand why events are necessary, unless someone is often editing multiple projects using the same clips. For me, I usually have different media for different projects, and creating both a new event and project is a confusing hassle.

Mar 8, 2014 4:28 PM in response to jdhoop

same here second time this happened, final cut pro crashes after 3 hours and when restarting project is empty this is ridicoulos.

Managed to restore it from back up as mentioned above but this is not how a PRO APP should behave in my opinion.

Why would it automaticaly reload from the last saved point instead of showing me a empty project?

Mar 26, 2014 6:44 AM in response to jdhoop

I've been crashing alot too - I just crashed and when I when back in FCP was stuck at "Restoring Window Layouts". After several retries of that I found in the applu documentation that I had to find the layouts folder and trash it - FCP cmae back after that but now the proecjt I was working on for days is gone - specifically all my media is unlinked --- the red screen with the yellow triangles --- I tried all the suggests above and I cannot find my footage.

I've restored libraries from backups and search my Mac for files but they seemed to have just disappeared.

I just lost 30+ hours on this project. DOes anyone have ANY suggestions?

-rich

Mar 26, 2014 7:39 AM in response to Rabassa

Rabassa wrote:

Does anyone know where FCP hides it's clips?

Actually, the media should still be in a location that you specified. If you originally imported directly from the camera into FCPX, it will be in an event. If you originally copied your media to your Mac, it will be at that location unless you moved it; it may also live in your event – depending on whether you chose to copy the media to your event.

If you select a clip that has a missing clip warning in the browser and then File>Relink Files, it will give you a dialog so you can navigate to that location.

BTW, what version of FCPX are you using and caused you go from Premiere to Final Cut in the first place?

Russ

Mar 26, 2014 7:57 AM in response to Rabassa

Hey,

10.1 is differnet, a couple of important things to realize. It stores media and project differently than earleir versions. Media and projects are stored in a library. They may or may not be disp[layed when you open FCP First,under file tab, click "open library". If the library you were working on is not shown, click "other". Hopefully a window with the library you were working on is listed. If library was on external drive make sure it is active. In finder you can look find the library by the purple 4 block icon with stars. Right click the file and select open package. you will find folder with original media. Don't alter any files in that package, but you can copy media files out without problem. Google or search you tube for some good tutorials on FCP 10.1 librarys, there are some great benifts to this new feature, I had trouble understaning at first, but once you work with it for a while its great.

Mar 26, 2014 11:51 AM in response to jdhoop

rich,

sorry, only thing I can think of is media was stored to external source. When you imported media, did you use FCP to import from camera, or did you import the media after it was transfered to computer? Media can be stored in FCP library (I like this option the best) or linked to an external source. If the media is not in the package, then it was stored elsewhere else. You have the option when importing to FCP to store in FCP or leave in original location. Has media been erased from Camera? If it's not on camera, not on extrernal drive somewhere, and not in FCP library, then ?????????? If you have a project it still may be intact and useable if you can locate the media associated with it. Typically the events (media) and project are stored in the same library, although you can use events from any library in a project.

Mar 30, 2014 2:25 PM in response to jdhoop

I found solution...

Download some SQL Lite manager like https://sqlitepro.com

Locate Library file

click right and chose Show package content

in 'Event name' folder locate CurrentVersion.fcpevent

Open this file in manager

Locate Table of database named: 'ZCOLLECTION'

on menu bar click on DATA icon

Delete some last ROWs

Save and run Final Cut again

I deleted 4-5 row and then WOW I have my project back.User uploaded file

Final Cut Pro 10.1 crashed and my project is gone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.