Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Projects with Final Cut 10.1

Hi Like an idiot I updated final cut and chose update all for my events and projects. Some projects updated and some did not. I have one that I need to finish for a client. I saved all of my previous events and projects on my external drive, but when I go to update project and events by clicking locate them, bothe the previous projects and previous events folders are grayed out. The dialog box says this current selection is not valid. Choose another SAN location or folder.

How do I open this project in the new final cut 10.1?

Any info is greatly apreciated!

Mike

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 12:46 PM

75 replies

May 4, 2017 4:46 AM in response to Stokamike

I have a similar problem to this although slightly different. My final cut pro updated automatically and not only can I not access any of my old projects, but the whole library. I had a library titled 'all projects' saved on an external hard drive. Now when I try to open that, it says that 'all projects' needs to be updated. Then when I say OK, it says it can't be updated because it's damaged. The day before my final cut pro updated itself (or I did it by accident, I'm not sure) this library was operating fine. I've set up a new library but does anyone know if there is any of getting access to my 'all projects' library. I have loads of ongoing projects on there and this is a serious problem if suddenly they're all gone. Any help would be massively appreciated.

May 4, 2017 6:04 AM in response to tomwardthomas

No guarantee that this will work, but you can try taking the CurrentVersion.flexolibrary file out of the bundle and see if FCP X can update the library. This is the library database and if it's missing FCP X will try to reconstruct it from the library contents.

Quit FCP X and, in the Finder, control-click the library and choose Show Package Contents. Drag the CurrentVersion.flexolibrary out of the bundle put it somewhere else (like in the Desktop).

Try opening the library. If it now works, you can trash that file from your Desktop.

May 4, 2017 6:10 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I've now found a way of accessing the projects by downloading the trial of the previous final cut pro, 10.2.3. So I can edit all of my projects in there. The trouble is a lot of them are ongoing projects and I want to be able to access them regularly but I still can't open them on the 10.3.3 version of FCP and having two FCPs on my computer for the next month is going to seriously clog the system. When I try to update the projects it doesn't let me. I don't suppose you know how this could be rectified, if I could update the projects somehow.

Dec 31, 2013 9:44 PM in response to Stokamike

Same problem. When I choose update from the menu, the Final Cut Events and Projects folders are greyed out.I have tried moveing the folders to other volumes and even putting them inside the new "package library'. no go.

At this point I just want to open them to export the XML, move to Adobe Premiere permanently. I am tired of this Final Cut garbage. After this problem, I do not care what new features it has.

I should not have to spend hours on the web to find out how to open project files from a previos version.
This is absolute BS.

Jan 2, 2014 1:25 AM in response to Stokamike

Same problem here. I updated, didn't realize how significant the update was, and was prompted to update my project and event files. I selected "Update All" and have been spending hours on the web trying to find out what I did wrong.

I have a few small events located on my laptop drive, and all of those transferred successfully. The problem is my external drive, which was connected when I attempted the update.

I chose to "Save" all of my original events when I was prompted to, so I haven't lost my old projects. But when I try to manually update projects/events, my old final cut events and projects aren't available for me to select. I've tried to move the events to different locations, I've tried to create new "Final Cut Events" and "Final Cut Projects" folders and move the event/project folders there, but they're still non-selectable. I even tried copying to my internal hard drive and updating from there, but nothing has worked.

I have a project I'm working on that is due on Saturday, and this is incredibly frustrating.

Two things I'm confused on as well:

- Only one of my events on the external drive was successfully imported to the new library on that drive, but the original event folder was 117.61 GB, and the new one in the library package is only 48.8 GB. What's going on there? I have no clue why my other events or my projects weren't transfered over, or why I can't transfer or access them now.

- I have a new folder on my internal drive called "Final Cut External Media" that has a sub-folder called "Passport's projects and events." What is this folder, what do I do with it, and why is it on my internal drive if it's from my external drive, the name of which is "Passport"?

Like I said I've spent hours on this issue and I can't find a solution online. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Josh.

Running Final Cut Pro X 10.1

Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz i7

16 GB DDR3 Memory

OS X 10.9.1

Jan 2, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Stokamike

I'm having the same issue. I, apparently very foolishly, chose to "Update All"

All Events and Projects on my local hard drive were transfered into the new system (some with better results than others -BTW, how do you "relink" files with a Library system?) but nothing from my external drive, which contains the majority of my Events and Projects, was updated. However, a folder containing my "Old Final Cut Projects and Events" was created.

I took the hours to re-import all Events but none of my Projects are up. When I try to Manually Update, as the Apple White Paper for this update suggests, I cannot select the "Old Final Cut Projects and Events" folder.

From an archival perspective, this program is a nightmare.

Jan 2, 2014 9:42 AM in response to Stokamike

Helllo Have a read of this if the link works

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5682023?answerId=24221691022#24221691022

most of the time the updated projects are in the updated project event ...but only some of mine made it there rest would not move over i got the media but not the project

but i managed to pull in everthing over in the end with the use of event manager x

Lost Projects with Final Cut 10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.