Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions issue with Word documents & Server?

My workgroup is running into an error with OS X Server on a Mavericks Mac mini & Word.

Word Documents stored in the shared folder accessible by the 5 workgroup computers keep saying they're read-only and can't be saved.

We check over and over, and the documents aren't opened on any other computers.

Any ideas why this is happening? We keep eating up more storage space because we need to duplicate and version all our documents.

I know, I know. Use Pages. Trust me, I do, but there are others in this office that still cling to Word because it's familiar.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 2:53 PM

5 replies

Dec 30, 2013 3:43 PM in response to JC Todd

Hi

I've seen this before usually with Excel documents. At the time I did some testing and realised the file naming convention used was causing the problem. Users were saving documents using non alphanumeric characters. Once these were removed the ability to overwrite existing files was restored.

The above may not help your situation but it's worth a try simply because it's quick and easy.

HTH?

Tony

Feb 11, 2014 2:54 PM in response to JC Todd

I am having the exact same issue. Several networked clients running 10.9.1 and Mavericks server with 10.9.1. The clients have local accounts (due to the keychain issue with mavericks server) and log into the network share using their OD credentials.

Word and Excel files sometimes open as read only or are not able to be saved after opening. They do not have non alpha numeric characters in their file names, the .TemporaryItems directory in the share root has 1777 permissions and there are no temporary files such as ~$... in the directory.

The file is owned by 502 but even if I give it 777 permissions it still won't open as writeable.

Any ideas?

Feb 12, 2014 12:55 AM in response to robertoraskovsky

Hi JC,

I've seen this issue before even with Tiger Server 10.4, it is a problem with Microsoft Word and Office, which uses a "safe" place on the servershare .TemporaryItems where it stores the file based on the user local ID which usually is 501 or 502 when a local administrator is present.

You can find more info and some solutions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2754495?answerId=16250977022#16250977022

The issue is explained here and still very much alive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23804?viewlocale=en_US

And the solution presented here:

http://word.mvps.org/mac/cantsavetoserver.html

This will take some work to change local user ids or just create 2,3,4,5 or 6 new local accounts and transfer their data if necessary that will change their UserID's as well.

Goodluck!

Jeffrey

Feb 12, 2014 3:38 AM in response to robertoraskovsky

Yes there are, just follow the instructions for the terminal commands and everything should be fine. The local user ID is connected to a lot of services, so just changing the Uid in SystemPreferences/Users and Groups/Advanced will not be enough.

Easiest way might be to create a couple of empty users and then use an admin account to transfer the old user home folder to a new account.

Goodluck!

Jeffrey

Permissions issue with Word documents & Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.