Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iTunes 11 and iTunes 10 be installed on the same hard drive and OS?

I am going to be upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. I want to have both iTunes 11 and iTunes 10 on the same Mavericks hard drive. I will use 11 to sync my iphone 5s and 10 to manage my library (11 drives me nuts).

Will iTunes 10 install and co-exist on a mavericks hard drive that already has 11 installed?

If not I figure I'll have to partition the drive and install iTunes 10 on the second partition, but I'd rather not have to do that.

 Mac Pro 1,1 Intel Dual-Core 2.66 GHz/ 5GB RAM/ 4 TB Storage, Mac OS X (10.6.4),  MBP 7,1 (17")/ Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz/ 4GB RAM/ 500 GB Storage

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 3:01 PM

Chukk707 wrote:

Will iTunes 10 install and co-exist on a mavericks hard drive that already has 11 installed?

No.

FYI: When you open the library with iTunes 11, it updates the iTunes library file, which can then no longer be read by previous verions of iTunes, so you'd need to maintain two separate libraries.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Chukk707

Chukk707 wrote:

No.

FYI: When you open the library with iTunes 11, it updates the iTunes library file, which can then no longer be read by previous verions of iTunes, so you'd need to maintain two separate libraries.

Dec 30, 2013 4:17 PM in response to Chukk707

Also if I try to import my iTunes 11 library file into iTunes 10 will I get an error?

Yes.

So partitioning looks to be the best option then.

So you are only going use the iTunes 11 partition to sync the iPhone? Nothing more?

Any changes you make while managing the library with iTunes 10 will not be seen on the iTunes 11 partition (and vice-versa).

Any changes you make will not be seen on the iPhone.

Gonna have to get used to iTunes 11.

It works very much like iTunes 10 after you turn on the sidebar.

Dec 30, 2013 5:31 PM in response to Chris CA

Yes I completely understand they will be two separate libraries.

I am one of those people who really prefer the cover flow view. It really was an attractive way to sort my library that still retained and easy way to sort things.

I don't move music around on the iPhone all that often, so I won't have to worry about changes to the library.

And yes perhaps I should just get used to it, but I think I'm going to be stubborn a little while longer. Thanks mate.

Can iTunes 11 and iTunes 10 be installed on the same hard drive and OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.