Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Cannot Reformat/Erase Flash Drive, Option is Grayed out

Hi I have been looking at a lot of tutorials and I cannot figure out why this is happening on my laptop.

I want to reformat/ erase my Sandisk Cruiser Glide Media 16gb flash drive because It suddenly went into a read-only mode and now I want to erase it completely. My main objective is to delete everyting so maybe the drive will stop being in read-only mode.

When I go to the Disk utility, my options for erasing my flash drive are grayed out (meaning that I cannot click them). Is there a way to work around the Disk Utility menu and erase my flash drive some other way?

What should I do?

See images below

Thanks in advance!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Laptop is 1 year old

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 3:01 PM

9 replies

Apr 22, 2014 12:13 AM in response to tarap303

Hi all, got mine working again, staff in the Apple store advised that sometimes the SD card slot can slightly push the read/write switch on (ever so slightly) and this renders the SD card unwritable. After they showed me on their store machine that they could access the SD card, I got home and it did take about 5 tries (inserting and ejecting) before I could open and write to the SD card. Hope you're problem is as simple to fix as mine was. 🙂

I Cannot Reformat/Erase Flash Drive, Option is Grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.