Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule goes for "sleep mode" ?

Hey Guys,

Im using a Time Capsule (called TC below) 2 TB, the latest version, mostly for two things;

I download files to directly to the TC harddrive and i also store some of my music on it.

The first problem is that when i download files directly to it... The download speed goes up to a couple of Mbit/s and then down to zero again... Then up again, and down to zero again. It's unstable. This dosen't happen when i download the files directly to my Macintosh HD.

The second problem is when i want to play music from the TC, for example on Itunes or on Traktor... It has a long delay for a couple of seconds from the time that i press play and the actual time that the song starts playing.

Does anyone have the same problems?

I think it is because the TC goes in some kind of "sleep mode" and therefore it has to "wake up" to be able to play the files on it, or store files on it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the sleep mode?

Thanks in advance!

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 3:45 PM

The green drive in the TC is designed to spin down as soon as data transfer finishes and it will spin up when demand is made on the drive.. it is standard for green drive but the TC is particularly agressive .. spinning down at the slightest pause..

There is no fix. The TC is not designed as current hard drive nor as a media streamer.. it is designed as backup target for Time Machine.. and that is that..

You could pull the disk out and replace it with a drive that will ignore spin down eg most enterprise type drives.. but you will void warranty doing it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 3:45 PM in response to Royaaal

The green drive in the TC is designed to spin down as soon as data transfer finishes and it will spin up when demand is made on the drive.. it is standard for green drive but the TC is particularly agressive .. spinning down at the slightest pause..

There is no fix. The TC is not designed as current hard drive nor as a media streamer.. it is designed as backup target for Time Machine.. and that is that..

You could pull the disk out and replace it with a drive that will ignore spin down eg most enterprise type drives.. but you will void warranty doing it.

Time capsule goes for "sleep mode" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.