Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of a macbook! HELP!

So, I was working on my macbook pro I use for work, and I was trying to make a bootable usb with mavericks on it. My macbook is a 2010 model (the silver with silver keyboard 😉) running snow leopard.

Here's how it went.

1. Downloaded mavericks installer (didn't run it)
  2. Partitioned a usb drive
  3. Entered this command in terminal "

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction"

Since this is a laptop used for work, I do not have administrator password on it, and this command requires you to input that password. I typed in my personal user password, and it said it had failed. I closed out everything and I continued using it for work. I left for a bit and it went to sleep, and upon me shaking the mouse trackpad it wanted my regular login info. My password and login that should have worked, failed to do so, leaving me with "the login or password is incorrect"

And no, caps lock is not on.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 3:52 PM

2 replies

Locked out of a macbook! HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.