Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine difficulties

I've had an odd issue with Time Machine today. Let me start from a couple of days ago. My daughter got a new iPod for Xmas, so I hooked it up to the MacBook to sync up the songs and playlists. iTunes comes up saying I need to upgrade the version of iTunes. So I come here to the Apple web site and try to update. The newest version of iTunes isn't available for this OS X on my MacBook, version 10.5.8. I learned that I need to order the upgrade to Leopard for my OS. Done, spent the $20 for the disk and it's on a FedEx truck somewhere between here and Tenessee. The page that I ordered the disk from said to backup my files. No problem, I plug in my external WD hard drive and it backs up with Time Machine. Today, I figured I would double check to see if all our photos, videos, and other files have made it onto the HD. I plug in the hard drive, and nothing comes up. Unplug, wait a couple of seconds, replug in a different USB port. Nothing. I've changed to two different cables, nothing. I have my work computer with me, a Dell. It recongnized the hard drive (unable to open its contents, though, because I believe it's an Apple formatted disk??) But it's there and I even "safetly remove external hard drive" to take it off the USB. I looked up a couple of things to try online, like going to WD's web site and downloading/installing driver updates for that particular HD, didn't work. I reset the PRAM, no luck. And I tried resetting the SMC, nope. Anyone have an other ideas? Please, please, please, I would like to save the photos on this hard drive!!!! Thank you...

MacBook (13-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 4:07 PM

11 replies

Dec 30, 2013 8:18 PM in response to SeaPapp

Funny you mentioned Snow Leopard, because I was thinking to myself right before you wrote that note, that it should have read that. OK, it worked getting the HD up in the Disk Utility. I repaired both the HD as a whole and then the Time Machine portion of it. The Time Machine now shows up on my desktop. The rest of the hard drive does not. Any ideas on that one? I verified and repaired and it said it seemed to be OK. The other portion has all my files on it.

Dec 31, 2013 5:38 AM in response to SeaPapp

Mike,
I didn't know it was partitioned either, nor did I know how to do it/it was possible before this happened. When it pops up in the Utility it has the Hard Drive as a whole on the first line, and then in a subfolder it has the Time Machine. I repaired everything that has come up. There's about 1 gig of files on that drive, mostly pictures, etc.

Time Machine difficulties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.