Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Wify-to-LAN bridge to wire my time capsule into the network

Hi,

I have a time capsule as the core of my small private network, and I'm moving into a building which has a centralized internet connection which only has WiFi support, not a chance to get a wired connection.

I do want my time capsule to connect to the network so I can connect all my other devices to it. I have searched and read a lot about it and the conlcusion is that the time capsule will not connect to the wifi network and act as a router/network hub at the same time. Additionally I have several devices that can only be connected through an ethernet phsyical connection, for which I want to use the time capsule.

I have thought of using a Wifi-to-lan bridge such as, for instance, this http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-WNCE2001/product-review s/B003KPBRRW. Do you think that will work? do you have any advice as to how to get my time capsule online?

Thanks in advance!!

TIme Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 6:42 PM

conlcusion is that the time capsule will not connect to the wifi network and act as a router/network hub at the same time.

That would be correct.

I have thought of using a Wifi-to-lan bridge such as, for instance, thishttp://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-WNCE2001/product-review s/B003KPBRRW.

I have no idea whether this will work.

However, if you configure an AirPort Express to "join" the Wi-Fi network, you can then connect an Ethernet cable from the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule and configure the Time Capsule as a normal router to set up your own private network for wired and wireless devices.

In effect, the Airport Express acts as a "modem" for your network in this type of setup, even though the terminology is not exactly correct.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 6:42 PM in response to Qubits

conlcusion is that the time capsule will not connect to the wifi network and act as a router/network hub at the same time.

That would be correct.

I have thought of using a Wifi-to-lan bridge such as, for instance, thishttp://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-WNCE2001/product-review s/B003KPBRRW.

I have no idea whether this will work.

However, if you configure an AirPort Express to "join" the Wi-Fi network, you can then connect an Ethernet cable from the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule and configure the Time Capsule as a normal router to set up your own private network for wired and wireless devices.

In effect, the Airport Express acts as a "modem" for your network in this type of setup, even though the terminology is not exactly correct.

Dec 30, 2013 7:01 PM in response to Qubits

the AirPort Express can do what the time capsule can't: act as a wifi-to-ethernet bridge, right?

That is correct. The Express is unique in this regard. Neither the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule can do this.

I came to think that was not possible with any of apple's devices.

For many years, I traveled with two AirPort Express devices. When I got to a hotel that only provided wireless, I used one Express to "join" the wireless network and that Express fed the second Express which was set up as a wireless router for multiple wireless devices. Wired would work as well with the "new" Express.

Would that require any special configuration of the AirPort Express to operate in that mode?

The Ethernet port is automatically enabled when the Express is configured to "join" a wireless network. The newer versions of AirPort Utility call this "Add" to a network. It's the same setup that anyone would use when they want to get an Express to join any wireless network for use with AirTunes.

Dec 30, 2013 7:07 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again! very helpful reply!

For many years, I traveled with two AirPort Express devices. When I got to a hotel that only provided wireless, I used one Express to "join" the wireless network and that Express fed the second Express which was set up as a wireless router for multiple wireless devices. Wired would work as well with the "new" Express.

That's very interesting, what happened in the cases where the hotel required you to do a web based login rather than giving you a WPA username and password? what do you do in that case? does the setup still work? I'm wodering because in my case there might be some web based login screen in order to get online. I thought I could talk to the administrator to add the mac address of the bridge (the AirPort Express in this case) so that it doesn't have to go through the web log-in thing...

Dec 30, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Qubits

For web based log in, the normal procedure was/is this:

Setup the Express to join the wireless network using an Ethernet connection from my Mac to the Express

Open a brower, log in, agree to terms etc.

As soon as I get an online Internet connection, I disconnect the Mac and connect the Ethernet cable to the second Express which is already "pre-configured" as a router

The hotel network only picks up the MAC Address of the "joining" AirPort Express, so I only pay for one connection, yet I can have multiple wireless or wired connections at the second Express and the hotel never knows.

Dec 30, 2013 7:23 PM in response to Qubits

Good luck!

Buy from an Apple Store or online and you have 14 days to return the product no questions asked if things do not work for some reason.

Unless the wireless uses some very unusual log in, things will be fine.

Keep in mind that your "network" is only going to run at the speed that the "main" wireless connection allows. Unless you are lucky enough to have a very good wireless signal there, this will not be anything like connecting to a modem or other router.

Using a Wify-to-LAN bridge to wire my time capsule into the network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.