Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture, Import, Problem - pics lost

Dear All,

I am using Aperture3 (3.5.1) and macbook Air (10.9.1).

I shoot with Nikon D800.

Last time when importing pics (only RAW´s) with my card reader i let the importing process to go to an end (at least 700 pics.). I did horrible wrong because I answered: do you want to pics to be deleted from your memory card - yes and yes. But - not all the pictures had been imported to my mac.

At least 100 pics were missing. Aargh.

I tried to find them from trash (both aperture and mac). Now such files were in those locations.

What I suprisingly allthough found from mac´s trash was aperture folders named by my projects and there were tif pictures in those folders? I only wonder how those were put in the trash.

Please help me. Is there any known possibility to save those lost pics from memory card or anywhere else they might have gone.

And yes in the beginning of the import process all the pics were chosen to be imported...

t. mikko

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 6:57 PM

8 replies

Dec 30, 2013 9:33 PM in response to mikkor

Nothing should have been lost. Aperture only deletes the files it imported into your computer, so the other files should still be on the card.

Check the card in finder to confirm this.

If there really is a problem, don't use the card any further until you resolve this. It's very easy to recover deleted files from a card. Often cards come with a recovery utility for this purpose.

There is very likely a simple explanation for why you think the files are missing, the important thing is not to try anything rash to fix the issue which may make things worse.

Dec 30, 2013 9:39 PM in response to mikkor

mikkor wrote:

What I suprisingly allthough found from mac´s trash was aperture folders named by my projects and there were tif pictures in those folders? I only wonder how those were put in the trash.

That's quite normal, anything you delete from Apertures trash goes into your Macs trash. TIFF files are usually created when you edit an image with an external editor, or plug-in. If you decide you don't like the edit and delete it, it will go to trash. Also some plugins may create and delete temporary files. So I don't think you need to worry about those images in trash and I don't think it's related to your problem. If you drag one of the images from trash to your desktop and open it in preview, it will probably jog your memory about where the image came from.

Andy

Dec 30, 2013 9:45 PM in response to mikkor

Try data recovery software for your memory card - I never tried this program, but since it is free:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/data-recovery-free/id509071310?mt=12

Don't restart your Mac, before you have checked the caches. They well be erased on restart:

• Quit Aperture.
  • Open a Terminal window and enter the following two line:

open $TMPDIR

This will open a Finder window with cryptically named folders. Dive into them and look for Aperture's Media cache folder. Are there any image files in the folder "com.apple.Aperture"?

Sometimes Aperture will write to that directory, if it cannot write to the Aperture library.

Dec 30, 2013 11:48 PM in response to mikkor

Did you try Léonie's suggestion to check the temporary caches?

Failing that, based on what you've written it does look like they are missing.

A couple more checks. First, use 'Photos' view (which shows all photos) to search for a missing file/version name eg: DSC_8765 which you can guess from the numbering sequence.

Just to be certain Aperture doesn't have the file.

Finally, use Terminal to check your whole system for one of the files, see instructions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5658258?answerId=24118983022#24118983022

If they are nowhere to be found, then it's down to card recovery.

Andy

Aperture, Import, Problem - pics lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.