Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP HDMI > HDTV > Receiver, no 5.1

My Onkyo receiver is a few years old and does not have HDMI input. So in the interest of cable minimization i have my DVD/TiVo connected to my HDTV via HDMI and then the TV outputs 5.1 to my receiver. Yes, I'm positive it's outputting 5.1 for these devices because my receiver has specific indicators only when receiving DD and DTS 5.1. When I plug in my MBP via HDMI the Sound control panel detects it as an LCD TV and HDMI in the list of outputs. When I go into Audio MIDI Setup and select HDMI, the source is LCD TV. It only shows 2 channels below and Configure Speakers has all surround options greyed out. If I choose Encoded Digital Audio in the format drop down the Sound control panel output is switched to Internal Speakers.

Is there a way to force the Mac to recognize my TV as something else so that it will output 5.1 to the TV so that my TV can output it to my receiver?

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 8:46 PM

There are no replies.

MBP HDMI > HDTV > Receiver, no 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.