Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Green static or sparkles with aTV.

I just got an aTV for Christmas and have it hooked up to a Vizio LCD 1080p HDTV through a 5.1 surround receiver. I also have a blu-ray player and DirecTV receiver run through the same receiver via HDMI. Initially, I had the aTV plugged directly into the back of the LCD to try it out and had no issues. When I got it hooked up through the receiver, I noticed green static or sparkles in the picture (especially noticeable in the black areas. There was no static with the blu-ray or DirecTV, just the aTV. I played around with the video settings and when the aTV was set to 720p, the static was gone. As of now, I must either sacrifice sound quality or picture quality to get rid of the static. I shouldn't have to settle. Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 9:59 PM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2014 1:08 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, I tried a brand new cable just to be sure and it didn't solve the problem. I'm having a hard time believing it's the receiver since all the other components are fine. The blu-Ray and the satellite box have no issues. I've unplugged the cable from the back of the blu-ray and plugged it into the aTV and the static is there. That tells me that the problem is in the aTV. I have updated the software. Is there anything else I can try?

Jan 1, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Winston Churchill

That is correct. Very frustrating. I found out something else that is odd. Decided to see if restarting would help. With resolution set to auto, I restarted the aTV. As it was coming back on, I see the Apple logo on a black background with no static. Clear as a bell. Once the main screen with the channel icons started loading, the static was back. Why would it be clear at first and static later? Very confusing.

Green static or sparkles with aTV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.