Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iOS 7 mail create a new "Junk" folder instead of using the Exchange "Junk Email" folder?

I have an exchange server hosted w/ Office 365 and Exchange ActiveSync is working great with just about everything in iOS 7 except for the Junk folder.

In my Exchange mailbox, the Junk mail folder is named "Junk Email". All other applications (Mac OS X Mavericks Mail 7.1, Microsoft Outlook 2011, Microsoft Outlook Web App) correctly send messages flagged as "Junk" to this Exchange "Junk Email" folder. This mapping was automatic and I didn't have to do anything for this to work. For some reason, iOS 7 has failed to map "Junk" to the Exchange "Junk Email" folder and simply creates a new Exchange folder named "Junk" when tapping the flag and selecting "Move to Junk".

The odd thing is, I have a work Exchange account hosted with some third party hosting company and the iOS 7 Junk folder mapping works correctly with this account. The only difference is that the Junk folder on this account is named "Junk E-mail". The mapping was automatic and didn't require any configuring, etc.

Since Mac OS X Mavericks Mail 7.1 correctly maps Junk to the Exchange folder "Junk Email" I suspect something was missed on the iOS 7 side. Anyone else seen this or know if this is a known bug?

Thanks,

Robert

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 9:01 AM

5 replies

Dec 31, 2013 9:26 AM in response to tretneo

I did some further testing and created an Exchange folder named "Junk E-mail" to match what's working in my other Exchange (work) account. iOS 7 mail immediately mapped to the newly created "Junk E-mail" folder and messages that I "Move to Junk" go there.

It looks like the "Junk Email" folder naming variant was missed w/ the iOS 7 mail app.

Rob

Why does iOS 7 mail create a new "Junk" folder instead of using the Exchange "Junk Email" folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.