Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd SMTP Server not working - email won't send.

I recently upgraded my wife's phone from a 4s running OS6, to a 5s (both with ATT.) She prefers to use our ISP provided (POP3) email account as her main email.

After the port and SSL settings for the ISPs SMTP server were added (same as on the 4s; two SMTP servers -- one for wireless/ISP network, one for cellular, each with a different port and SSL settings...etc) -- the setting for the Cell version of the SMTP server would not save/post to the phone's settings....would just get the spinning disk at the top. [* This forces the user to app-close the phone's 'Settings' module, and you have to start over, as there is no way to 'cancel' the saving of the SMTP settings if it doesn't work (i.e. you selected the wrong port, or SSL not available...etc.)]

Called our ISP tech support and they confirmed that the port and SSL settings for the Cell version of the SMTP were indeed correct, and speculated that it may just be slow to save if we had a weak signal. I replied that the signal was adequate at the time (3 bars) and that the phone was even picking up LTE service. During some of the permuations of settings and servers activated, the settings will save, but then mail will still not send based on the particular configuration (even with the correct port settings from the ISP.)

After a long evening of frustration, through trial and error, I discovered that the Cell settings WILL work IF..., and only IF, the cell SMTP server is the first server on the list., and there are no additional SMTP servers listed (or activated.), and then the mail will send from the outbox.

* The basic workaround for us would be to use the cell version of the settings (port, SSL...etc.) as the only SMTP server -- to allow for situations out in the world -- then deactivate the Wireless on the phone when we are home. The phone then reverts to cellular mode and the mail sending function would work at that point. This allows an adaptation for 90% of the situations of sending mail, but it is still frustrating.

[My questions are :]

1. Is this a possible bug in this version of iOS 7, in that the SMTP scanning service does not work. (Phone is supposed to keep cycling through the SMTP servers until it finds one that works.)

2. Has anyone else had this issue with the current version of iOS 7 ? (If so, try the workaround listed above.)

2a. Has anyone else had this issue with the stardard iPhone 5 (running the 32 bit processor) and the same version of iOS ?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4, 5s

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 9:31 AM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2013 10:07 AM in response to AmishCake

It's not two different versions of the email account or address, it is two different versions of the SMTP server.

Each instance of the SMTP server will have unique PORT and SSL settings based on the network that will be used to send the mail. If you are on your home network (Wireless), the port will be different (110) and SSL is also not needed.

If you are away from home (hence, the phone is not on wireless, but on the cellular network), a different port and SSL settings are used. (Even if you are on 'wireless', but through another location or ISP (coffee shop...etc.), the mail would still not send, but this has always been the case.)

The factor here is why the phone will not scan for the additional versions of the SMTP server like in previous cases with an older iOS or phone.

2nd SMTP Server not working - email won't send.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.