Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DHCP from Modem, 3 Airport Extreme via ethernet. What is the best setup?

I have a Motorla SBG6580 from Time Warner Cable dishing out DHCP. From the modem I have ethernet to an Airport Extreme (tower version). From the modem I have ethernet to a Netgear GS108T to feed devices via ethernet in my office. From the Netgear I have ethernet to an Airport Time Capsule 2TB (tower version) with ethernet to another Netgear which has ethernet to the 3rd Airport Extreme (flat version).

Currently the first Airport is setup as the (create a wireless network) where the others are setup as (extend a wireless network).

I don't seem to get the same performance on the two downstream Airports as I do the first one.

Any suggestions in setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), None

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 10:46 AM

Currently the first Airport is setup as the (create a wireless network) where the others are setup as (extend a wireless network).

"Extend a wireless network" is a setting that is used only if the AirPorts are connecting to each other using wireless.

You are connecting using Ethernet.

All of the AirPorts need to be setup the same to......

Create a wireless network

Use the same wireless network name

Use the same wireless security

Use the same wireless password

Be configured in Bridge Mode

AirPort Utility will literally configure all of the AirPorts for you automatically, so you really don't need to worry about manual settings. All that you really need to do is assign device name for each AirPort. The utility will take care of the rest.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2013 10:46 AM in response to WSMC511

"Extend a wireless network" is a setting that is used only if the AirPorts are connecting to each other using wireless.

You are connecting using Ethernet.

All of the AirPorts need to be setup the same to......

Create a wireless network

Use the same wireless network name

Use the same wireless security

Use the same wireless password

Be configured in Bridge Mode

AirPort Utility will literally configure all of the AirPorts for you automatically, so you really don't need to worry about manual settings. All that you really need to do is assign device name for each AirPort. The utility will take care of the rest.

DHCP from Modem, 3 Airport Extreme via ethernet. What is the best setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.