Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life in MacBook Pro Retina

Hi guys,

I bought last week a MacBook Pro Retina, 13inch, late 2012, and my battery life is nowhere near the 'expected'. Right now I'm at 57% with 3:14 but I know some people have 9hours on a full charge... It just seems weird. I already did a PRAM and SMC reset and my battery life didn't change at all. I read that it could be related to Maverick (which I installed recently) - could that be the cause?

Also, I can't seem to understand what's the correct way to charge a MacBook. Should I charge it when it reaches 20% left (80% of use)? When should I stop charging - when it reaches 100% or less?

Thank you

(sorry if I do something wrong - I'm a newbie here)

(happy new year!)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:42 PM

Currently in some cases Mavericks is not reporting battery life as accurate in "time remaining" its being looked into.

As for the battery:

Keep it plugged in when near a socket so you keep the charging cycles down on your LiPo (lithium polymer) cells / battery, but not plugged in all the time. When not being used for several hours, turn it off.

And best "tip" is if its near a socket,...plug it in as long as you can (especially at home) since cycle count on the battery are the "miles that wear out the tires (battery)", however again, not plugged in all or most of the time.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."

General rule to remember of Lithium batteries is:

Never drain them LOW & dont always/often store them HIGH

While cycle count is commonly seen to be the “miles” on your Lithium Ion pack cell in your Macbook, which they are, this distinction is not a fine line at all, and it is a big misconception to “count charge cycles”

*A person who has, for example, 300 charge cycles on their battery and is recharging at say 50-60% remaining of a 100% charge has better battery usage and care than another person who has 300 charge cycles at say 15% remaining on a 100% charge.

DoD (depth of discharge) is far more important on the wear and tear on your Macbook battery than any mere charge cycle count. *There is no set “mile” or wear from a charge cycle in general OR in specific. As such, contrary to popular conception, counting cycles is not conclusive whatsoever, rather the amount of deep DoD on an averaged scale of its use and charging conditions.

(as a very rough analogy would be 20,000 hard miles put on a car vs. 80,000 good miles being something similar)

*Contrary to some myths out there, there is protection circuitry in your Macbook and therefore you cannot overcharge it when plugged in and already fully charged

*However if you don’t plan on using it for a few hours, turn it OFF (plugged in or otherwise) ..*You don’t want your Macbook both always plugged in AND in sleep mode (When portable devices are charging and in the on or sleep position, the current that is drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and will alter the dynamics of charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic loading because it induces mini-cycles.)

Keeping batteries connected to a charger ensures that periodic "top-ups" do very minor but continuous damage to individual cells, hence Apples recommendation above: “Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time”, …this is because “Li-ion degrades fastest at high state-of-charge”.

This is also the same reason new Apple notebooks are packaged with 50% charges and not 100%.

LiPo (lithium polymer, same as in your Macbook) batteries do not need conditioning. However...

A lot of battery experts call the use of Lithium cells the "80% Rule" ...meaning use 80% of the charge or so, then recharge them for longer overall life.

Never let your Macbook go into shutdown and safe mode from loss of power, you can corrupt files that way, and the batteries do not like it.

The only quantified abuse seen to Lithium cells are instances when often the cells are repeatedly drained very low…. key word being "often"

Contrary to what some might say, Lithium batteries have an "ideal" break in period. First ten cycles or so, don't discharge down past 40% of the battery's capacity. Same way you don’t take a new car out and speed and rev the engine hard first 100 or so miles.

Proper treatment is still important. Just because LiPo batteries don’t need conditioning in general, does NOT mean they dont have an ideal use / recharge environment. Anything can be abused even if it doesn’t need conditioning.

From Apple on batteries:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Storing your MacBook

If you are going to store your MacBook away for an extended period of time, keep it in a cool location (room temperature roughly 22° C or about 72° F). Make certain you have at least a 50% charge on the internal battery of your Macbook if you plan on storing it away for a few months; recharge your battery to 50% or so every six months roughly if being stored away. If you live in a humid environment, keep your Macbook stored in its zippered case to prevent infiltration of humidity on the internals of your Macbook which could lead to corrosion.

Considerations:

Your battery is subject to chemical aging even if not in use. A Lithium battery is aging as soon as its made, regardless.

In a perfect (although impractical) situation, your lithium battery is best idealized swinging back and forth between 20 and 85% SOC (state of charge) roughly.

Further still how you discharge the battery is far more important than how it is either charged or stored short term, and more important long term that cycle counts.

Ultimately counting charge cycles is of little importance. Abuse in discharging (foremost), charging, and storing the battery and how it affects battery chemistry is important and not the ‘odometer’ reading, or cycle counts on the battery.

Everything boils down to battery chemistry long term, and not an arbitrary number, or cycle count.

Keep your macbook plugged in when near a socket since in the near end of long-term life, this is beneficial to the battery.

Peace 😊

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2013 12:42 PM in response to Sararl

Currently in some cases Mavericks is not reporting battery life as accurate in "time remaining" its being looked into.

As for the battery:

Keep it plugged in when near a socket so you keep the charging cycles down on your LiPo (lithium polymer) cells / battery, but not plugged in all the time. When not being used for several hours, turn it off.

And best "tip" is if its near a socket,...plug it in as long as you can (especially at home) since cycle count on the battery are the "miles that wear out the tires (battery)", however again, not plugged in all or most of the time.

While cycle count is commonly seen to be the “miles” on your Lithium Ion pack cell in your Macbook, which they are, this distinction is not a fine line at all, and it is a big misconception to “count charge cycles”

*A person who has, for example, 300 charge cycles on their battery and is recharging at say 50-60% remaining of a 100% charge has better battery usage and care than another person who has 300 charge cycles at say 15% remaining on a 100% charge.

DoD (depth of discharge) is far more important on the wear and tear on your Macbook battery than any mere charge cycle count. *There is no set “mile” or wear from a charge cycle in general OR in specific. As such, contrary to popular conception, counting cycles is not conclusive whatsoever, rather the amount of deep DoD on an averaged scale of its use and charging conditions.

(as a very rough analogy would be 20,000 hard miles put on a car vs. 80,000 good miles being something similar)

*Contrary to some myths out there, there is protection circuitry in your Macbook and therefore you cannot overcharge it when plugged in and already fully charged

*However if you don’t plan on using it for a few hours, turn it OFF (plugged in or otherwise) ..*You don’t want your Macbook both always plugged in AND in sleep mode (When portable devices are charging and in the on or sleep position, the current that is drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and will alter the dynamics of charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic loading because it induces mini-cycles.)

Keeping batteries connected to a charger ensures that periodic "top-ups" do very minor but continuous damage to individual cells, hence Apples recommendation above: “Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time”, …this is because “Li-ion degrades fastest at high state-of-charge”.

This is also the same reason new Apple notebooks are packaged with 50% charges and not 100%.

LiPo (lithium polymer, same as in your Macbook) batteries do not need conditioning. However...

A lot of battery experts call the use of Lithium cells the "80% Rule" ...meaning use 80% of the charge or so, then recharge them for longer overall life.

Never let your Macbook go into shutdown and safe mode from loss of power, you can corrupt files that way, and the batteries do not like it.

The only quantified abuse seen to Lithium cells are instances when often the cells are repeatedly drained very low…. key word being "often"

Contrary to what some might say, Lithium batteries have an "ideal" break in period. First ten cycles or so, don't discharge down past 40% of the battery's capacity. Same way you don’t take a new car out and speed and rev the engine hard first 100 or so miles.

Proper treatment is still important. Just because LiPo batteries don’t need conditioning in general, does NOT mean they dont have an ideal use / recharge environment. Anything can be abused even if it doesn’t need conditioning.

From Apple on batteries:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Storing your MacBook

If you are going to store your MacBook away for an extended period of time, keep it in a cool location (room temperature roughly 22° C or about 72° F). Make certain you have at least a 50% charge on the internal battery of your Macbook if you plan on storing it away for a few months; recharge your battery to 50% or so every six months roughly if being stored away. If you live in a humid environment, keep your Macbook stored in its zippered case to prevent infiltration of humidity on the internals of your Macbook which could lead to corrosion.

Considerations:

Your battery is subject to chemical aging even if not in use. A Lithium battery is aging as soon as its made, regardless.

In a perfect (although impractical) situation, your lithium battery is best idealized swinging back and forth between 20 and 85% SOC (state of charge) roughly.

Further still how you discharge the battery is far more important than how it is either charged or stored short term, and more important long term that cycle counts.

Ultimately counting charge cycles is of little importance. Abuse in discharging (foremost), charging, and storing the battery and how it affects battery chemistry is important and not the ‘odometer’ reading, or cycle counts on the battery.

Everything boils down to battery chemistry long term, and not an arbitrary number, or cycle count.

Keep your macbook plugged in when near a socket since in the near end of long-term life, this is beneficial to the battery.

Peace 😊

Dec 31, 2013 3:25 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Sorry but I'm not sure I fully understood it...

Apple recomends I keep my mac plugged in? But also speaks about a 20-80% soc? Ideally what should I do? I'm sorry if I seem dumb but it's just confusing (on my HP computer I couldn't have it plugged in because that ruined my battery).

Also, Maverick may have problems on reporting the "actual time left" but I notice that the % is dropping awfully fast. Is this normal?

Again, sorry for bothering but it's my first mac and I want to assure I give it the best care possible.

Sep 24, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Sararl

I agree with you. I dont seem to understand from the above post whether I must avoid too many charge cycles or if I must avoid having my MBPR plugged in for long.

Anyway, I purchased my 15" MBPR in sep 2013 and updated to mavericks a couple of days ago.I noticed that my availble charge (time on battery) drops like it went over a cliff. However, since this morning I noticed that the following things seemed to make a difference.

1) I stopped using chrome and switched to safari - i have multiple tabs open wwith some of them streaming videos and notice that the charge does not reduce as much - its been reporting 5:41 hrs on 64% charge the last 5 minutes.

2) unchecking the "Adjust screen brightness automatically" option seems to make a difference.

3) I turned off location services.

Not sure which one contributed the most..but as I check just now the charge still holds at 5:23 hrs at 61%

Good luck!

Jan 3, 2014 10:47 AM in response to knagaraj

1. plug it in when using it, shut it down when not using it and unplug it

2. Currently in some cases Mavericks is reporting the wrong time "remaining", this is being looked into however it does NOT affect actual battery life.

Sararl

simple,

* This means your notebook is not a desktop to leave plugged in all the time 24/ 7

The one thing you want to avoid is often (or on purpose) letting your Macbook drain very low, and more still important, storing your Macbook away with a low charge for a period of time.

Plug it in and charge it at 20% or so,.. the battery is happiest not being "often squeezed" , shall we say.

knagaraj

dont seem to understand from the above post whether I must avoid too many charge cycles or if I must avoid having my MBPR plugged in for long.

Simply put it means that charging cycles are meaningless in the sense that you can take you car and drive it crazy and have low miles but high damage, whereas a normal person has many more miles and less damage.

meaning charging cycles mean LESS than what people credit them for, theyre the "Miles on the battery", but means nothing and tells nothing about how the battery is/ was treated.

I stated this above.

but, plug it in when using it near a socket so you are operating off power, and not the battery. Just dont leave in plugged in all the time 24/7

Peace 😊

Jan 3, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Sararl

Sararl wrote:

Also, I can't seem to understand what's the correct way to charge a MacBook. Should I charge it when it reaches 20% left (80% of use)? When should I stop charging - when it reaches 100% or less?

For any device that uses a lithium-based battery (not just Macs, but your PC laptop, your phone, etc.)

The battery will have a longer service life if you avoid completely emptying it every day. When you are near an outlet, it's a good idea to plug it in. It is OK to drain it to empty once in a while or when needed, but in general a shallower discharge cycle is better for the battery.

Leaving it plugged in does not itself hurt the battery. Leaving it plugged in when the battery is both full and hot is not good for the battery.

For more information to back this up, read:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

"If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses...

...“Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use?” many ask. Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because once the lithium-ion battery is full the charger discontinues charge and only engages when the battery voltage drops. Most users do not remove the AC power and I like to believe that this practice is safe."

Jan 6, 2014 7:36 AM in response to Sararl

These battery tips are mostly ok, from a common sense perspective. 🙂

However, the question is what is leading, common sense or the wellknown text in http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

There Apple explicitly does warn not to leave it pluggen in all the time, and recommends to use the battery daily and plug it in after (commuter/work scenario). Also Apple does not warm to avoid battery cycles. The biggest question remains what Apple means with leaving it plugged in "all the time" (24/7?), and how "occasionally" to keep the electrons flowing. Their implicit answer is to use the battery on a daily basis since they describe that as the ideal scenario, rather than keep it plugged in as much as possible just to avoid battery cycles. See my point?

Now while I am at it, I have another problem. 🙂

Coconut Battery and other apps report the battery capacity of my 13" MBPr as >103% of the design capacity (6555 mAh in stead of 6330). The problem is that the battery level indicator in the top of the menu keeps showing 100% for a long time until the drain drops under a certain level, I suspect under the design capacity.

In other words, because my battery still has more capacity than the design spec the battery percentage is reporter wrong. Is there a way to get it to display this percentage correctly? I know the Apple battery calibration procedure is not recommended for Macbooks with non-removable batteries...

By the way I never had this problem with my other macbooks, even if their remaining capacity was higer or lower than the design capacity.

Any ideas?

Jan 6, 2014 10:41 AM in response to fulcod

I don't know about the Coconut Battery issue (I also use it, though). On the Apple advice, I think Apple is just saying "use it normally as a laptop." Sometimes plugged in, sometimes unplugged. And I agree, I think it is fine as long as one is not doing either of the two extremes: emptying the battery frequently or leaving it plugged in for days at a time.

In other words, Apple is not giving specifics and I don't see any need to get very specific on percentages of discharge levels. That would only encourage people to overthink it, which is happening frequently on these threads.

Jan 6, 2014 11:50 AM in response to Sararl

Agreed.

To clarify things about the battery percentage problem: it is not so much a Coconut Battery issue but a Apple battery percentage issue. 🙂 Coconut and other programs as Battery Health are correct: they display the same capacity info as the Apple System does in the Power section. It's just that the battery percentage in the Apple menu does not match with that percentage.

Jan 6, 2014 1:02 PM in response to fulcod

fulcod wrote:

These battery tips are mostly ok, from a common sense perspective. 🙂

However, the question is what is leading, common sense or the wellknown text in http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

There Apple explicitly does warn not to leave it pluggen in all the time,

Yes, thats because that link contains scant, insufficient information, and is overtly "too general" 😊

Jan 25, 2014 6:28 PM in response to Sararl

I've in the same boat, have the following,

• 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
  • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

I'm on my 2nd computer from the Apple store, like other's we sat there and watched the time of the battery life drop an hour & 52 minutes with the genius standing there saying oh this is not right , no no this is not good , so anyways I left it with them and went back after work and they said we see whats going on but cannot explain it.

They left to get it and came back with mine and a brand new one sealed in the box. So far I've turned off everything that I can think of that ***** down power, installed the gfxcardstatus with Intel Iris Pro selected, I also run wifi , which I could plugin a cable and save some more battery life but why are WE paying big bucks for these computers that can't maintain battery life?

I've also been using a MBA Maxed out , outstanding machine, just the screen is a tad small.

One other thing that I just remembered is the Genius said that with all the driver's that are running for the retina and the dual video that also contributes to battery drainage.

So from what I'm reading this is an apple issue with reporting the correct percentage of battery life left ? And that 3rd party software is to be used if your that conerned about it.?

😕

Jan 27, 2014 1:17 PM in response to mbb3977

mbb3977 wrote:

One other thing that I just remembered is the Genius said that with all the driver's that are running for the retina and the dual video that also contributes to battery drainage.

So from what I'm reading this is an apple issue with reporting the correct percentage of battery life left ? And that 3rd party software is to be used if your that conerned about it.?

😕

The graphics drivers alone should not account for high battery drainage unless you are always running at least one application that uses the dedicated GPU and it is running all the time.

One possible explanation is that on a very new Mac, the battery readout may not have adjusted to a normal use pattern because no pattern has been established on a computer that's only been in use for a short time. The battery readout is an estimate. Which means if it says there is one hour left, that doesn't mean there is necessarily one hour left. It could be more or less depending on how long the current power load continues and whether more or less power is used later.

If there is a problem with battery readouts, third party software will probably not help. The reason some third party battery software is used is to provide more detail (not more accuracy) than the simple Apple battery icon provides.

If there is a battery hog running, use the Energy tab in Activity Monitor to identify it. My MacBook Pro is a couple years old now and can still deliver 4+ hours on battery.

Battery life in MacBook Pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.