11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2014 1:26 PM by Kappy
Mac_Journal Level 1 (0 points)

As stated in the question, my MacBook Pro has been doing this since January of 2013. My MacBook Pro has also been heating up after about 2 to 3 hours of use, Even after having nothing but Finder open. Putting it on marble counter is the only way I have found to cool it down. What is happening? I have 10.6.8 Snow Leopard ( I have tried upgrading to Mavericks, but then I downgraded because it didn't fix the issue ).

The following is the iFixit specifications for this MacBook Pro:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_17%22_Unibody

Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Kappy Level 10 (265,951 points)

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

Be sure to make a backup first because the following procedure will erase

the drive and everything on it.

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer.  Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the  "C" key.  Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.)  Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.  Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer.  Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. Be sure you configure your initial admin account with the exact same

username and password that you used on your old drive. After you finish Setup

Assistant will complete the installation after which you will be running a fresh

install of OS X.  You can now begin the update process by opening Software

Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Reinstall third-party applications from scratch only using versions shown as compatible with Snow Leopard or later.

Never upgrade a computer to fix a problem. More than likely the problem will be exacerbated by the upgrade. Fix the problem first, then upgrade.

• Mac_Journal Level 1 (0 points)

I already have done this before at least 3 times, yet this didn't affect the computer at all. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Then replace the hard drive.

Is there any way I can test if this is the problem before I spend $109 on a new hard drive?

Don't you think you already have?

The things I have experience similar to hard drive corruption is the fact that reinstalling Snow Leopard didn't make a difference, and my mac has also been reporting that the hard drive is full when there is still 12 GBs left. Is this really hard drive corrruption? Is there any tests for this?

Probably.

Yes, there are tests but you don't have the hardware needed to test the drive nor the software. They will cost a lot more than the $109 you don't want to spend for a new drive.

What are some programs that do this?

They are only available to technicians for use with their testing hardware. They are not consumer items.

What would be the cost to test the hard drive?

Take it to an Apple Store to find out.

Genius Appointment