Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro takes 5 to 10 times to start up with or without the cord there is no difference. Resetting the SMC has had no effect on the mac, what's happening?

As stated in the question, my MacBook Pro has been doing this since January of 2013. My MacBook Pro has also been heating up after about 2 to 3 hours of use, Even after having nothing but Finder open. Putting it on marble counter is the only way I have found to cool it down. What is happening? I have 10.6.8 Snow Leopard ( I have tried upgrading to Mavericks, but then I downgraded because it didn't fix the issue ).

The following is the iFixit specifications for this MacBook Pro:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_17%22_Unibody

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 2:20 PM

11 replies

Dec 31, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Mac_Journal

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

Be sure to make a backup first because the following procedure will erase

the drive and everything on it.

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. Be sure you configure your initial admin account with the exact same

username and password that you used on your old drive. After you finish Setup

Assistant will complete the installation after which you will be running a fresh

install of OS X. You can now begin the update process by opening Software

Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Reinstall third-party applications from scratch only using versions shown as compatible with Snow Leopard or later.

Never upgrade a computer to fix a problem. More than likely the problem will be exacerbated by the upgrade. Fix the problem first, then upgrade.

My MacBook Pro takes 5 to 10 times to start up with or without the cord there is no difference. Resetting the SMC has had no effect on the mac, what's happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.