Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quad G5 after reapplication of thermal paste.

So after 8 trouble free years my Quad has started to exhibit some signs of ageing.

Fans and blue screen events. Recently I ended up with all the three red LEDs lit up and a no start up event.

I took out the LCS and chips and reapplied the thermal paste (coolighy dual pump delphi). While I was there I also took out the power unit and gave it a thorough hovering along with every thing else.

Mildly surprised that it started up at all after I'd put it all back together I ran hardware monitor to have a look at the processor temps. The fans had kicked in two thirds of the way to full. I found that CPU A was running at 49°C and 45°C and CPU B was running at 22°C and 22°C respectively.

When I'd had a look at the chips, during cleaning off of the thermal paste, the chip in the lowest position, with the mac standing, had some wear to the seal around its edge. I'm making the assumption that this is CPU A.

Finally, my question is, is this just the CPU failing or can I hope that it's the pump that needs some attention?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received as to where I go from here (except for buying a new Mac);-)

Uncle.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 3:37 PM

10 replies

Jan 1, 2014 1:56 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua

Thanks for the reply, wasn't sure I'd get a response this being an old and no longer supported machine.

I was hoping someone would say that so I can rationalize the time to fiddle with the LCS in the hope of a return to the stable, usable, work horse my G5 has always been.

Well it looks like I'll have to go to Halfords (UK) and look for some non curosive coolant and some rad pipe. I think it's worth my time to get this last and greatest of the power platform Macs back up to operational frostiness.

I used Attic silver 5 for the thermal compound it anyone has a latest and greatest coolant/refill combo for the dual pump Delphi Colingy please post.

Thanks for the links BDAqua (G5 support forum?) I'll take another read through before tackling this.

B

Jan 5, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Robert Beard

All the stuff I've read around and the images ive seen are from different systems to mine. This makes it a more 'try it and see' approach as, for example, I'll need to take the pumps apart to see the actual size of the o rings in them and if they need replacing as I've no discernable leakage or crystalization. Is the system under pressure for example?

The thermal blocks on mine are in direct contact with the greased CPU head and topped and tailed by corrugated plastic pipe that if memory serves connect to the side of the radiator(Mac standing) one lower one higher. Not sure if the rad is partitioned, if not that seems a little funky. Hay ho buy I've got to go.

Thanks all

Uncle

B

Quad G5 after reapplication of thermal paste.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.