Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot follow these instructions "Where are my iTunes files located?"

Items I imported from CDs, restore my playlists with all the music in the playlists

Dont know how to follow these instructions with my Windows.... Please help!! I am trying to restore my music playlists that i had on itunes library.

Discovering and changing the iTunes Media folder location

You can change the iTunes Media folder location to share music between accounts on the same computer. Followthese steps if you want to move your music to a new computer.

1. Mac OS X: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.
  2. Click the Advanced pane. iTunes shows the location of your iTunes Media folder.
  3. User uploaded file
  4. You can then:
    • Back up your media to your media folder.
    • Click the Reset button to reset your media folder to the default location (which is the iTunes folder).
    • Click the Change button to select a folder for a new location. After you change this location:
      • If you make a new or alternate iTunes library, the library will use the new location.
      • Existing files won't be moved unless you choose File > Library > Organize library and choose the option to "Consolidate files."

Copying music to and keeping the iTunes Media folder organized

You can select these options on the Advanced pane of iTunes preferences:

• "Keep iTunes Media folder organized." Learn more about how iTunes 9 and later organizes your media.
  • "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." Select this option to store all your media files in the iTunes Media folder. Since it's all in one location, you can easily transfer or back up your media. When you purchase or import media into iTunes from a CD, it's automatically added to your iTunes Media folder. If you add media to iTunes another way (choosing "Add to library" from the File menu or by dragging an MP3 file into iTunes), it might not be added to your iTunes Media folder.

User uploaded file

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 3:34 PM

15 replies

Jan 2, 2014 9:23 AM in response to diesel vdub

hi, thanks for the response.

I am not sure what caused all of this. 6 months ago, i backed up my phone. and just a couple days ago i did it again. Right after i did that, i went to my music tab (as i had new songs to download) and clicked SYNC so about 30 songs can sync into my iphone. And when i did that.... all the playlists that i created with about 650 songs deleted from my library, and my iphone (the itunes went back to normal mode). Now all i have is about 250 songs that i purchased not the songs i imported from CDs into my itunes.

Jan 2, 2014 1:07 PM in response to turingtest2

yes, my media is there. many of the apps and music i purchased. but the playlist isnt there.

when i recently opened itunes (2 days ago) to do a backup, i noticed that some of my music was not in my phone but in my library, so i clicked SYNC and then it took about 30 seconds and it only updated songs i purchased and deleted all the other songs i added from Cds, (playlists).

I have not switched accounts. and i dont know what you mean with the "non-standard path"

Thanks for your help.

Jan 2, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Anton M

The normal path for an iTunes library is <User's Music>\iTunes, but it is possible to create or switch to a library stored elsewhere.

You could search the entire computer for files of the form *.itl just in case, otherwise I think your remaining option is to simply use the File > Add Folder to Library command to import the media folder. It will be too late to use the tools in Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for the playlists.

When you get it all working make a backup!

tt2

Jan 2, 2014 1:38 PM in response to turingtest2

I have tried the FILE, Add Folder to Library

I was not successful to use the "<User's Music>\iTunes" because i only went to as far as: EDIT, preferences, Advanced Tab, and then i dont know what the next step is.

I have called apple for help, but im not sure they ALL understand what i need done. Only one guy was able to help me about something esle. He knew what he was talking about, the other people wanted to charge me $20 dollars, but they didnt know the steps to how to bring the playlists back.

Jan 2, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Anton M

I'm not suggesting that you change anything in preferences. I was explaining that it is possible to create independent libraries and switch between them to explain my earlier statements which you had questioned....

Your playlists would have been stored in an earlier version of the main iTunes Library file. If you don't have a backup, a Previous iTunes Libraries folder, or the playlists on a device, then the chance of recovery is almost non-existent. The remaining long shot would be to enable the display of hidden files in Windows Explorer in case there is a .tmp file hiding there that is actually the last good copy of your library.

Apple don't offer free telephone support for iTunes. Email support is mainly geared to troubleshooting issues with purchases, not the operation of the program or data recovery.

tt2

Jan 2, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Anton M

Anton M wrote:

This really isnt good. there isnt even a .tmp file on my pc.

Did you enable the display of system files and hidden files and folders?

by the way, how can i stop this from happening another time.

Make a backup!

i had music there for over 6 years.

Well you must have updated iTunes once or twice in that time. Do you have some sort of "tidying" app that is supposed to clean "unnecessary" files. If so perhaps it is too aggressive.

tt2

Jan 2, 2014 4:03 PM in response to turingtest2

I did a full icloud and on my computer backup right before this happened (just in case this happens). but as i said, as soon as i hit SYNC everything erased.

And it seems like you know alot more about computers than me. i cant follow you with the "enable the display of systems files and hidden files and folders".

If theres a way, we can solve this issue with my playlists. i would be more than happy to pay you.

thank you.

Cannot follow these instructions "Where are my iTunes files located?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.