Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intego icon reappeared after Mavericks upgrade - how do I stop it again?

I had eliminated it from running as a startup application some years ago, but it reappeared when I upgraded to Mavericks. I investigated because of slow performance. It does not show under users as a startup application. Where else can it be? I have searched for and deleted all Intego, Netupdate and Virusbarrier files I can find. I have been able to kill the app from Activity Monitor, but can't find a library that has Intego in it.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 3:33 PM

6 replies

Dec 31, 2013 10:11 PM in response to elizlk

From my notes Intego installed or created the following files at the specified paths. It is as exhaustive a list as I was able to compile using a brand new Mavericks installation on a brand new Mac as of a few weeks ago, but it may not be 100% accurate or complete:

~/Library/Preferences/com.intego.app.netbarrier.monitor.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.intego.app.netbarrier.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.intego.virusbarrier.application.plist

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intego.app.netbarrier.savedState

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intego.virusbarrier.application.savedState

~/Library/Saved Application State/intego.Internet-Security-2013.savedState

~/Library/Caches/com.intego.app.netbarrier/

~/Library/Caches/com.intego.virusbarrier.application/

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.commonservices.daemon.integod.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.commonservices.daemon.taskmanager.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.commonservices.icalserver.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.commonservices.metrics.kschecker.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.netbarrier.daemon.logger.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.netbarrier.daemon.monitor.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.netbarrier.daemon.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.netupdate.daemon.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.virusbarrier.daemon.emlparser.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.virusbarrier.daemon.logger.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.virusbarrier.daemon.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.intego.virusbarrier.daemon.scanner.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.commonservices.integomenu.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.commonservices.taskmanager.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.commonservices.uninstaller.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.netbarrier.alert.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.netupdate.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.virusbarrier.alert.plist

/Private/var/Log/Intego/

The three following kernel extensions were installed:

com.intego.netbarrier.kext.monitor

com.intego.netbarrier.kext.network

com.intego.netbarrier.kext.process

Intego created the following processes:

VirusBarrier

NetBarrier Monitor

NetBarrier

NetUpdateAgent

IntegoMenu

NETserver

LOGINserver?

USBserver

As you can see Intego is quite invasive, and its UI offers no obvious way of uninstalling it. You must use its uninstaller to get rid of it. The uninstaller app was only included with the downloaded installer package, and it was not completely effective. It did not delete the Saved Application State or cache files and did not unload its kernel extensions. An empty log folder also remained.

You probably already discovered for yourself that Intego's effect on a Mac's performance is unacceptable, but its uninstaller should render it inert.

Good luck.

Jan 1, 2014 7:39 AM in response to elizlk

Do not try to remove all the components manually. That's undoubtedly what caused this in the first place... I'm guessing you removed some parts manually, but didn't use an uninstaller.

You need to use the uninstaller. The problem is that you have an incomplete install at this point, and the uninstaller may no longer work. You will need to reinstall the same version of those Intego apps that you originally had installed, then use the uninstaller to remove them again. The installer for VirusBarrier x6 & Internet Security 2013 has an uninstall button. I would assume that other versions would behave similarly, but if not, be sure to locate the proper uninstaller.

Contact Intego for assistance if necessary.

Jan 1, 2014 9:44 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks, John.

Yes, that appears to the be the problem. The incomplete uninstall from before (this was version 10.4 from 2007) and it got picked up again somehow with the Mavericks upgrade. I have contacted Intego support to see what they say. I can't yet find any info on the original install package ... no doubt cleaned up on one of the computer switchovers I've done since then.

I can't seem to get at the libraries you found, either, although some clearly are still there, when I see Intego running in Activity Monitor.

Jan 1, 2014 10:03 AM in response to elizlk

Don't expect Intego to provide accurate instructions. Intego's programmers were not competent enough to implement a completely effective uninstaller to begin with, therefore I doubt their technical support will be of any use regarding a seven year old version of their product.

The only way to uninstall such poorly implemented garbage with complete assurance that all its components are permanently eradicated from your Mac is to erase the volume on which it is installed. The components I enumerated above were installed by Intego's latest "fully compatible with Mavericks" versions, so its applicability to a 2007 release will be limited at best.

Jan 1, 2014 10:20 AM in response to elizlk

It may help to use Mr. etresoft's EtreCheck program to locate Intego's active components. Go to his website, download and run EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

EtreCheck will be in your Downloads folder. Open it from there. When you're finished with it, drag it to the Trash. It doesn't modify your system and doesn't require an uninstaller. There is no guarantee it will help, but it will not cause additional problems.

It can't be emphasized enough though... deleting individual components manually may not be effective and raises the possibility of system corruption, so back up your system first. That's the problem with installing ill-conceived system-modifying junk like Intego to begin with. If its uninstaller is not effective, the user's options are limited to erasing a system completely and subsequently restoring it from a backup.

Intego icon reappeared after Mavericks upgrade - how do I stop it again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.