Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use "@icloud.com" as my primary email for my Apple ID

I had a Mobile Me account since it was first introduced and I have made the transition to iCloud on all of my devices. The only thing that still remains @me.com is my apple ID. I cannot figure out how to transfer this to @icloud.com for my primary email. How can I make my primary email address @icloud.com instead of @me.com. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 6:00 PM

7 replies

Dec 31, 2013 6:35 PM in response to kdrew_lefty

You can't change an @me.com ID. To use @icloud.com as your ID name, you would have to create a new iCloud account, which I believe would cause you to lose access to your @me.com address as it cannot be moved to the new account. You can use the @icloud.com address interchangeably with your @me.com address to sign into iCloud, such as on icloud.com, but you can't change the ID name as @me.com, @mac.com and @icloud.com IDs cannot be edited they way email address ID names can.

Dec 31, 2013 7:01 PM in response to kdrew_lefty

You can't change your @me.com address to be your secondary address and your @icloud.com to be your primary address, if that's what you're asking. You can set your @icloud.com to be your default address for email, as discussed here under "Set default address to send from": http://help.apple.com/icloud/#/mm6b1a490a.

As far as your purchases, you won't lose them but they are permanently tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them originally and cannot be transferred to or merged with another ID.

Dec 31, 2013 7:55 PM in response to kdrew_lefty

If it were me, I would leave things as they are. You can use the @icloud.com address to sign into iCloud if you want; it can be use interchangeably with your @me.com address. You can also set the @icloud.com address as your default when sending email if you prefer. The only place you see @me.com is in the name of your iCloud ID.

Anyone who migrated from MobileMe or signed up early when iCloud was first introduced is in the same situation you are so this is not at all unusual.

How can I use "@icloud.com" as my primary email for my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.