Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore media thats missing

Whats happened was that i have around 100GB of media stored in the library. I've already backed them up with Time Machine (i think as i once got them back when i had to reboot and restore the laptop) This time i had the same problem when the macbook wouldn't reboot so i had to use time machine. After leaving it on with the hard drive for the night the macbook was back to its usual self however, i've lost all of my photos and videos but there are some remaining. It hasn't disapeered as the macbook has memory of them being there because they have a ! symbol on them and when i try to view videos i get this error explaining it can't find the media.

OSStatus error -54

Any ideas on what to do? I'm trying the rebuilding but its still not working. Its really killing me because theres a lot of photos of my kids...

PS: When i looked at the masters harddrive, it only read 9GB of media in the library. I have no idea why...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 7:53 PM

1 reply

Jan 1, 2014 3:49 AM in response to william0076

PS: When i looked at the masters harddrive, it only read 9GB of media in the library. I have no idea why...

Then your restore of the iPhoto library is incomplete. It looks like the original image files and videos are not included in the library. How did you restore from Time Machine?

This time i had the same problem when the macbook wouldn't reboot so i had to use time machine. After leaving it on with the hard drive for the night the macbook was back to its usual self however, i've lost all of my photos and videos but there are some remaining.

What excactly did do to recover from your system from Time Machine? Did you wipe the drive and restore from the TM backup, or how did "you use Time Machine"?

We need to know more to be able to help you recover the photos of your kids.

-- Léonie

How to restore media thats missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.