Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my iPad Air to pair with an Apple Wireless Keyboard?

I have tried and tried to get my Apple Wireless Keyboard to pair with a new iPad Air -- with no luck.

The iPad finds the device, and tries to connect. But after about 10 seconds, it winds up with the message: "Pairing Unsuccessful. Make sure Apple Wireless Keyboard is turned on, in range, and is ready to pair."

As far as I know, all three requirements are fulfilled.

The keyboard has successfully paired with an iMac and an iPhone 5, so it works. But my iPad seems not to like it....

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 5:55 AM

iOS: Apple Wireless Keyboard compatibility

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4112

Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1809

 Cheers, Tom 😉

3 replies

Jan 1, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks, Tom.

A little note in the second link gave a clue to the problem -- and its solution.

The keyboard will not go into discover mode if there is any other device in the area to which it has already been paired.

I have both an iMac and an iPhone to which it had been paired, even though neither was connected to the keyboard. I had to turn off the Mac and turn off bluetooth on the phone in order to make the keyboard go into discover mode, with the blinking light.

PS: I tried taking the iPad and keyboard to the most distant parts of the house from where the Mac and phone were, but the bluetooth was apparently so strong on one or the other, or both, that the keyboard was picking them up and could not go into discover mode.

Seems a little odd that the keyboard is so wedded to devices that it won't allow multiple connections, but I guess there's a reason.

How can I get my iPad Air to pair with an Apple Wireless Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.