Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I REPAIR my External Hard Drive in Disk Utility without losing all of the Data?

So, here's the story...

A while back, I made the mistake of throwing my TM backups in the Trash folder. They were "stuck" there in my External Trash FOREVER until I finally decided to do something about it. I read a few forums that gave instructions on how to delete those volumes through Manually through a series of prompts in TERMINAL. This process actually WORKED and removed the files from the trash, HOWEVER, now the Disk isn't mounting properly. After running "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility, It's telling me that the disk needs to be repaired.

Fearing that my disk may be wiped completely, I thought I'd transfer all the files over to another HD and Repair the Problematic Disk just to be safe.

But When I try to copy the files over to another drive with ample space, it gives the message "The operation can’t be completed because the selection contains both backup items and non-backup items."

I am now at a cross roads, because I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ALL OF THE DATA ON THIS DRIVE!!!! What do I do??

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 8:14 AM

2 replies

Jan 1, 2014 9:01 AM in response to stephenivey_1

Seems to me you have 2 choices since you can't copy anything over to another drive.

1. Boot into the Recovery HD and Repair Disk from Disk Utility.

2. Format the drive.

I know I have run Repair Disk on my Macintosh HD without losing any data. But I didn't have the situation on that drive like you have with TM back ups and removing files from Trash.

Jan 1, 2014 12:07 PM in response to stephenivey_1

Hi,

If it is not mounting properly but you can "grab" something in an effort to Transfer it, what are you seeing ?

Can you limit it to different files/folders ?

Other than that I would try Carbon Copy Cloner (you can Try before your Buy sort of thing)

Use this to Create the Backup of the drive.

Then repair drive.

User uploaded file

8:07 pm Wednesday; January 1, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Can I REPAIR my External Hard Drive in Disk Utility without losing all of the Data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.