Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my screen has been gone. It is 5S. :Black screen, only apple icon. It does not working.

Hello,

I bought a iphone 5S from San Francisco Apple Store on 25.10.2013. I started to use it on 20th of November. Last thursday, my screen has been gone suddenly. Now, I can not open it. On the screen, there is only apple icon and the screen is black. I live in Turkey and I was using it in turkey. There was no damage or crash. I need urgent help. What happened? and How can I fix it? What about guarantee of the product?

Thanks a lot

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, 16 GB Gold model. It was very new.

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 10:33 AM

10 replies

Jan 1, 2014 11:06 AM in response to serdame

Did you buy an officially unlocked phone from Apple?

Did you already try to connect in recovery mode, explained in this article? Make sure the phone has been charged for about 10min using the adapter before you start:

iOS: Unable to update or restore

The warranty is only valid in the country where you bought the phone. So, in case your phone needs service, you'll have to ship it back to the Apple Store in the USA.

Jan 12, 2014 8:37 AM in response to serdame

Here are some reasons for error 4013:

Check USB connections

If there’s an issue with the USB port, cable, dock, or hub, or if the device becomes disconnected during restore, try troubleshooting the USB connection, then troubleshooting your security software.

Common errors: 13, 14, 1600-1629, 1643-1650, 2000-2009, 4000, 4005, 4013, 4014, 4016, “invalid response”, and being prompted to restore again after a restore completes.

This article and this one also have some suggestions to solve the error.

Jan 12, 2014 12:18 PM in response to Ingo2711

I tried with a different cable. It is working for another iphone 5s. There is no problem with the cable. I did your advice. It does not working.

Let me shortly summarize the screens during restore. After selecting restore and update option, a message appears at the above "extracting software. After this, preparing iphone for update message appears. During this message the screen turns to black, itunes and cable disappears. Then "waiting for iphone" message appears at the same time screen turn to white and apple sign appears. then screen turns to black and preparing iphone and waiting iphone messages appear second time and after these messages itunes and cable sign appears on the screen and on the computer screen " iphone could not be restored. An unknown error was found (4013)" appears.

How can I proceed? Is it possible to change the phone with the new one due to guarantee? Really I do not know how I will proceed?

Jan 12, 2014 12:38 PM in response to serdame

You only other chance would be connecting in DFU mode, also explained in this discussion

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.

2. Turn iPhone off.

3. Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).

4. Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps as a USB device is recognized.

5. A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.

6. If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU, try again.

As already mentioned, your warranty is only valid where you bought the phone, in your case, the USA.

You'll have to contact Apple USA to get it serviced during your warranty period.

Jan 12, 2014 1:36 PM in response to Ingo2711

itunes is detecting my iphone. There is no problem detecting my phone. The logo is on the screen. This is ok from the beginning. This is not my question. After selecting restore and update button. The above steps that I mentioned in my prevous e-mail takes place. The screen goes black and than white with apple sign and then turns to again itunes restore screen and appears error message. What should I do? It is very bew phone. I only use it 1 month. I bought three iphone 5s at the same time from the same store. The two are working. I have problem only with this one. Is it an software problem?

How can I contact with US Apple? I will be appreciated if you advice me.

Jan 13, 2014 3:22 AM in response to serdame

Here's how to contact Apple:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Apple - Support - iPhone - Contact Support

As far as I know, Apple USA does not ship the phone internationally. So, even if you send it to them, you won't get the phone back in that case. You or somebody else will have to visit them personally to get the phone serviced. You may contact Apple in your country, but I'm afraid they can't help you either.

Jan 13, 2014 7:19 AM in response to serdame

All that matters is the country where you bought it and, of couse, the proof of purchase or receipt. If still under warranty the service is free:

How much will my in-warranty service cost?

Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of purchase. After you return the iPhone that needs service, Apple will examine the iPhone to confirm that the failure is covered by Apple warranty.

How can I tell if my iPhone is in-warranty?

Apple's Limited Warranty for iPhone begins on the date that the iPhone is originally purchased and covers the iPhone for one year from that date. To determine your warranty coverage, find your iPhone serial number or IMEI and enter it in Apple's Check Your Service and Support Coverage tool. Apple may need to examine the original sales receipt for your iPhone or another valid proof-of-purchase document to verify your iPhone's warranty status.

Note: The service coverage information described at the Apple Support site is based on the date-of-purchase information available to Apple, depending on when or whether you registered your product or if you purchased it from an Apple Authorized Reseller.

my screen has been gone. It is 5S. :Black screen, only apple icon. It does not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.